PDA

View Full Version : orange montipora digitata

achilles1
08/14/2003, 09:43 AM
I have had a frag of orange digitata that has been growing fine for a couple months. right before my water change last week one of the branches bleached. ok fine. After the water change another branch started to eject polyps and the branches have what appears to be air bubbles on them. It is pretty high up up in the tank so it gets lots of light. I'm thinking that it may be getting too much light. It is fact that the corals get more light after water changes because the coloring pollutants in the water are removed via water change which means more light penetration. I have a green digitata colony slightly higher than it is and it grows like wildfire. I think I read somewhere that too much light causes excessive production of the byproducts of photosythesis. Is this correct? I had a birds nest do the same thing a few months back, but it didn't die. It lost a few spots with bubbles and continued to grow. So far I have fragged the monti and put the frags down at the bottom. Should I move the whole colony down or let it work it out itself? My nitrates were high <10ppm but that's my fault for skipping a couple changes.
I have six 6' VHO's over the tank. 3-50/50 3-actenic.

freakyreef
08/15/2003, 12:41 AM
How much water flow? It'll help to keep algae and bubbles off.

tanker
08/15/2003, 02:06 AM
Montipora sometimes picky. I had 6 good branches--all growing fine at the very top next to clams. One started to bleach for no reason. Has to keep breaking off bleached parts till only 1/2" of it was left :( But the others are all still OK. Did not move them. The 1/2" is still there and is slowwwwwly regrowing. Put in back in the same spot.

I do not believe it can get tooo much light nor flow. It loves light and flow but can do with less light.

achilles1
08/17/2003, 05:49 PM
it has fairly descent flow. Not fast though. 3 of the growth tips have cyanno on them which is weird considering I don't have a cyano problem. I'm goingto give the tips a little brushing and hope that solves the problem. I though more than one branch was bleaching, but the polyps were just in. The frags are dpong good too. Thanks for the replies. I think I may have panicked.