PDA

View Full Version : Help with tang diet

nick18tjetta
08/11/2003, 04:02 PM
I have a 4 inch sohal tang in my 6' tank. It is eating seawead selects and greenleaf lettuce like a pig, but i can't seem to get it to eat anything else. Should i be worried. It wont touch mysis, krill or any of the mixed frozen foods i have. It also won't touch formula two pellets or osi flakes. Anyone have any suggestions on what else i can try.

Thanks

Nick

fishermania
08/11/2003, 04:29 PM
try mixing the krill or mysis with live brine that will usually induce feeding.

derrikd
08/11/2003, 04:35 PM
how long have you had him?? mines loves form 1 the best (frozen) and sea weed

nick18tjetta
08/11/2003, 06:00 PM
I have had him about two weeks, and he has gained a lot of weight. Im just worried about him not having a balanced diet. Also how much should i feed him a day, he can eat one of those lil sheets of seaweed selects in about an hour. I heard you should have something for tangs to graze on all day long, but at the rate he eats it, i would go through two packs a week.

Thanks

Nick

I guess i better hatch some brine shrimp......

gonzach
08/12/2003, 05:21 PM
The one thing I can say about the Sohal is that this fish is truly all 'herbivore' with a diet consisting of 99% vegetation.
Mine is FAT and colorful from feeding on Gracilaria, (a fabulous food genus for humans and fishes) combined with 2 varieties of Caulerpas and Nori Seaweed all rolled up and tied to a small rock. I soak the Nori with a little Spiralina and Zoe from time to time. He also grazes all day from the back glass where I have allowed some good green algae to grow.

Gracilaria is very important part of the diet , very healthy. Try to get some.