PDA

View Full Version : Algae Eating Fish

The Saltwater Kid
08/10/2003, 09:50 AM
What is the best fish to get for eating algae? I seem to have an algae explosion happening in my tank and would like to get it under control! I've thought about a Lawn Mower/Algae Blenny but I've read where it can attack your other fish, especially other Blenny's and I don't want anything to happen to my Red Scooter!!! A LM Blenny isn't the most attractive fish to begin with but I'd get one if he was safe to put in with my other fish.

Salsini
08/10/2003, 10:04 AM
My Yellow tangs and a Eibl's angle are constant grasers. I would also sugest some Turbo snails. They will clean up your tank in no time.

MalHavoc
08/10/2003, 10:04 AM
The best way to get rid of algae is to get rid of nutrients. What are your phosphate and nitrate levels like? Are you using tap water? What are you feeding your fish?

The Saltwater Kid
08/10/2003, 12:09 PM
I have about 15-20 snails already, a combo of Maragrita and Turbo Grazers. I don't know what my phosphate level is since I don't have a test kit for that, my nitrate levels are at 10ppm. I have Convict Tang already and my tank is nice and peaceful so I'm not going to add another Tang (I just got rid of my yellow Tang because it was harrassing the hell out of my poor CBB). Any other suggestions???

Mariner
08/10/2003, 01:37 PM
Don't know what fish to suggest -- some have preferences for specific kinds of algae. What kind of algae are you having trouble with?
Personally, I would look at doing something on the nutrient end to solve your problem long term. Use RO/DI water if you're not already. Get some/more macroalgae to compete with your bad algae for nutrients. Encourage more coralline growth with good calc/alk balanced levels, etc.
HTH,
Mariner