PDA

View Full Version : Another Motorcycle question-- oil coming out after a tip

Ophidia
05/08/2001, 10:13 AM
Hello all!
It seems wierd to post motorcycle questions at a reef website, but we are all friends here, so I can count on good answers :)
Anyway, my wife and I picked up a road-worthy bike for us to learn on (those who followed another moto thread of mine know that I am trying to get a different bike roadworthy). It's a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700X. Now, my wife took 'er out and drove it around a little bit (laughing like an idiot the whole way). She got back to the yard without incident.
<b>However</b>, when she tried to drive to the back of our narrow yard, she crashed into the flowerbed landscaping and the bike was at a greater than 45 degree angle-- running-- for about 30 seconds. After we set it up again, we went for a walk.
When we got back, there was a fair amount of oil on the board that the kickstand was on. At first I thought that maybe a seal was broken from the engine getting banged, but it looks like all of the oil leaked out of a tube coming out of the bottom of the air cleaner housing. What he heck woudl oil be doing coming out of air cleaner housing?

My father seems to think that it is from the crankcase breather blowing out oil when the bike was on it's side. THe crankscase oil level seems fine (through the sight glass-- I hate site glasses) and oil pressure is fine. Running the bike does not seem to cause more oil to drip out.
It was quite a bit of oil, though!

Motorcycle gurus, what do you think?

Thanks for reading. My wife was not hurt(nor was the paint, whoever had the bike before painted it with DuPont Chameleon, so I would not want to have to pay to get any paint damage fixed!)and she laughed like an idiot throughout the whole thing

Chris

Playfair
05/08/2001, 10:50 AM
The breather tube sounds good to me. All bikes end up on the ground at one time or another, I just hope she learned from this one and that's the end of it...

No permanent damage would be caused, but it wouldn't hurt to pull the breather element (if it has one) and clean/replace.

Ophidia
05/08/2001, 01:03 PM
It does not appear to have a breather element filter, but it hosed the air cleaner. I had to order a new one and clean this one the best I could. 30 bucks for an OEM filter, and K&N does not appear to make one for this bike. Thanks, Playfair.

I just took it out for the first time (on any bike ever). Once you get going those damn things almost drive themselves! Only problem is that I kept forgetting which gear I was in.
Chris

DD
05/08/2001, 06:26 PM
Dont worry that happens when you lay them over. The last bike I layed down was my race bike 98 zx7R. And it was actually in the air and i was sliding down the track at over 100mph looking up at it. Needless to say it leaked oil into the filter box when it came to rest! Here is a picture of myself with my bike before a race last year at Road America. 1 month later it did'nt look so good. http://www.mototuneusa.com/darin.htm

[Edited by DD on 05-08-2001 at 07:34 PM]