PDA

View Full Version : The sump "balance"

netwurk
08/08/2003, 09:07 AM
I'm having a problem and would like to know what opinions I can get on this.

I have a Mag12 as my return pump, but my overflow has only a one inch bulkhead which is rated for less GPH than the Mag.

I'm attaching a pic. so you could follow me here:

The water level in baffle A is much higher than in baffle B.

Meaning, there's too much restriction between the carbon and sponge filter in baffle A, so it's not feeding baffle B enough water. Before I installed my top-off, I would have to check on it every eight hours or so because the water level would drop in baffle B without any affect on A.

When I clean my carbon media bag, the water level is almost perfect, but I have to be cleaning the bag every two days or so, if not, the water levels between the baffles will start to differ again. I've also reduced the amount of carbon in the bag, but it seems that particulates are clogging the media bag. What can I do about this????? Any thoughts?

Also, I'm also attaching a pic of my top-off switch, which was built with some PVC and a Grainger float switch. I want some comments as to how good or bad the design is. If you see any failure points, please let me know.

Finally, the float switch is attached to the PVC cap with JB Weld. I couldn't find the right size nylon nut anywhere. If the JB Weld touches the water, is this a safe epoxy??

Sorry for the long post everyone.

-Thanks!:p

netwurk
08/08/2003, 09:07 AM
Here's the float switch

KingT420
08/08/2003, 12:22 PM
As far as your JB weld, I have used it in the past with no ill effects. I like your float switch. (easy to adjust, simple removable for service) I bent an 2� x 10� acrylic piece into an “L� then drilled a hole in it, (my float came with a nut, check e-bay less than $5 for great switches, I bought 15) and attached the bracket to the side of the sump with a springy clamp thing.

I think your baffle problem is telling you when to change that filter. I run a micron filter bag in one of my baffles, and when it gets clogged, I loose water volume (baffle A stays full while side B goes down) (albeit my side B is a lot larger than yours.) I remove the filter for about 3 days of the week, and run it the other four. I run no carbon at all. I also found that sponge filters don’t flow a lot of water, and they plug quickly also. If your filter clogs that quick, you might want to look at running a particulate filter before baffle A or run a filter bag on your overflow hoses (to cut down on the clogging of your charcoal filter)

I am not sure about this, but I don’t think you should be running charcoal all the time. I believe it removes trace elements long after it has absorbed all the organic contaminants it can.

Good luck.

netwurk
08/08/2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by KingT420
run a filter bag on your overflow hoses

What exactly is this?

Running Carbon 24/7 is an issue which is in constant debate on the forum. Some do, some dont. I really like the advantages of carbon. I'm always paranoid about a little soap, etc. and the carbon is known to remove certain amounts of these agents. I also like the way it leaves the water crystal clear. Regardless, I dont have a skimmer, so I really dont think It'll be leaching too much from the bio-system.

Also, what particulate filter does everyone recommend. I wish I could remove the sponge filter, but my baffle doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the sump between chamber A & B so I wouldn't have anywhere to run mechanical filtration.

The sponge filter isn't really blocking too much flow in my case. As soon as I remove the carbon bag....bam, both chambers are in line with each other.

I would like to run a particulate filter somehow, but I don't know which are good, and how I would place it in the loop. Once in a while I'll put some Petsmart "wanna-be" filter medium into baffle A laying above the carbon. This doesn't let the carbon block the water flow, but after a few days the filter medium is DIRTY and IT starts blocking water flow.

KingT420
08/08/2003, 03:13 PM
Here is one type of filter bag

http://www.ereeftank.com/micronbags.html

it is not the one I use, but very close.

I have two, one looks like a large sock, with a drawstring at the top, I put my two overflow hoses into this "bag" and tie it on. When it gets clogged it simply overflows.

the other filter bag I use is 8"x 12" and I fold it to 4"x 6" and place it in my baffle in my sump after my skimmer.

I wash both bags out in the washing machine (no soap) on hot/hot, and do a double rinse.

I honestly don’t filter or skim very much. Like I said, maybe 3-4 days a week for filter, skimmer on once a week for a day (If I remember)

I believe that I have my above tank refuge to thank for my success.

When I do a water change I suck all the crap out of the bottom of the sump (that is where it all seams to collect) about once a month I change about 10gals on my 125.

Check the pic, for a diagram of my sump. I tried to place the baffles so that I could still have a fluctuation of about 10 gal before problems started occurring. I have (2) 5gal surge buckets that occasionally fill the sump up all the way.

Zephrant
08/09/2003, 12:29 PM
Drop by your local fabric store and pick up a few yards of 1/2" polyester quilt padding ($0.10 per square foot or so). Measure your area in "A" and cut squares that fit it. Place one over your carbon bag, and change DAILY. You have enough suspended stuff in your water, with enough flow, that there is no way to prevent it from clogging whatever is in section A. Your goal should be to make it clog something cheap and easy to replace. Removing it daily also keeps whatever it traps from breaking down and dumping nutrients in to the water.

That will keep the detritus from clogging the carbon, and keep your tank much cleaner too.

And seriously consider a skimmer when you get a chance- I stopped running any mechanical filtration (or carbon) 9 months ago when I installed a large skimmer. Things look great, the water is crystal clear. I tried no-skimmer for four years on one tank. It worked, but I am much happier with a large skimmer now.

Zeph

netwurk
08/09/2003, 01:33 PM
zephrant, you took the words right out of my mouth. I think I may have too much current in the system, and that's why things never really settle down. Yesterday, I went to petsmart. They had a bag of filter medium for like $2. It's a lot of filter. I placed it on top of the carbon and it seems to be keeping the carbon bag from clogging. This is a much easier substance to swap out regularly.

Also, I have been contemplating getting a skimmer. I'm pretty sure I will be getting one. I'm looking at the AquaC Remora, but I'm trying to make sure the dimensions of it will work in my sump, or HOT in my sump.

I really dont want to reduce the Mag12's output, so I guess this is what I'll do.

Thanks for the info!!