PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin Substance

wildcat
08/06/2003, 07:22 PM
Do corals emit a mucus coat for no reason, or is there something in the water that makes a coral emit a mucus coat. thanks.

wildcat
08/06/2003, 08:10 PM
Ok, the mucus coat came from my fungia. There is a spot on the coral where it looks like the calcium ridge is broken off. Any idea how this could have happned. can corals have like a blow out? I have no idea, any thoughts on this matter would be helpful. The spot is really small like the size of a BB and no i did not shoot it with an air rifle. thanks

EricHugo
08/07/2003, 08:26 AM
Mucus is the normal coating for corals. Is there abnormal mucus production? I don't understand what you mean about the calcium rdge being broken off, or about a "blow out"...describe more, please. Is there skeleton showing through from under a spot of lost tissue or what?

wildcat
08/07/2003, 09:15 AM
Yes, there is skeleton showing through where the coloration is missing from. the spine type formations on Fungia is missing in one area, the coloration is gone and there was a thick gelatin like substance floating on the top of my tank when I got home yesterday. This has never happned before so I have no Idea if it is normal or not. I fed the corals the night before, could i over feed and have this reaction.