PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Off Topic...

chicorodriguez
08/05/2003, 10:37 AM
My Grampa just gave my an Onyx chess set last weekend. it's absolutely sweet, except that the board is cracked, and when you move it, you can feel it move. I want to glue it to some acrylic, the cheap kind that the local hardware store has. I hope that way I can pervent the crack from spreading.

What kind of glue would stick to acrylic and Onyx? obviously, this does NOT have to be Reef safe; last time I checked, Perc Clowns are crummy at chess.

- CR

Johnnyfishkiller
08/05/2003, 12:35 PM
I would use 1/4 inch glass. It's less flexable than plex and you can stick the board to it with silicone. Cheap too. Have a glass shop cut it to size and clean up the edges. You could glue felt to the bottom of the glass to protect it and your table.

GeorgiaSalt
08/05/2003, 01:01 PM
Well, at least something similar...

They are pretty fragile..the onyx is brittle and whatever they use for the white pieces (quartz?) is even more so...

I picked mine up in mexico...and on the flight back three pieces broke in half, and the board broke in half (kind of zig zagged between the inlayed squares in the middle)

I doubt this is what you want to hear, but I fixed the pieces easily with gel superglue...been fine for years now....I fixed the board with two part epoxy cement that was in the hardware store right next to the gel superglue.

I would either use thin super glue or thin epoxy and let it wick down in the crack by capillary action, set it on a flat surface for 24 hours and then it will be fine.

No need to add glass or anything...and I can't imagine that a bead of silicone around the bottom would be that attractive. I don't know about you, but I don't play full-contact chess, so the board fixed like i noted above has been fine for it's occasional uses over the past (Gees has it been that long? I feel old) 13 years.

GS

jhead67
08/05/2003, 02:04 PM
I super glue mine also. My bishops head has been repaired so many times I think its more super glue than marble.

chicorodriguez
08/05/2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. No, I don't play full contact chess (sounds interesting though, where can I find the rules?) but I do live with two other people in a college apartment... so, I think I'll try the glass/sillicone approach. Thanks for all the suggestions!

- CR