PDA

View Full Version : How many perculas for a 185g reef?

rs2208
08/04/2003, 10:54 AM
I have a chance to buy some tank raised false percula clownfish. They are very small as of right now - maybe 1/2". I have a 185 gallon reef, 70 prop tank, and 29 gallon softy tank all connected to a 50 gallon sump. I would like to put 5 of them all in the main 185. Is this a bad idea? Should I seperate them in pairs? Can 5 live(and be happy) in my 185? Do I need an anemone or multiple anemones?
Thanks

SeanT
08/04/2003, 02:48 PM
If you don't have percs let me clue you in to my opinion.
At first they are neat, all Orange and stuff.
After a month or so they are BORING.
Boring, stationary and territorial (they ARE damsels).
Mine only leave within 6 inches of their host anemone when it is feeding time.
If you have an anemone get a pair. Make sure that one is as much larger as you can make it to the other.
This way the butt whooping will be quick and dominance decided.

Do not get anymore. You will regret it.
JMO

arcab4
08/04/2003, 02:57 PM
hey seant, what happened to the mr. sparkle avatar? that one rocked.

to give you another perspective...i totally love clowns. heck..if i could..i'd keep all clowns in my tank but that's not quite possible.

i love the interaction between the clowns and anemone. besides..since they stay literally in one area, that gives my other fish plenty of room to swim around.

JMO :D

MarinaP
08/04/2003, 03:27 PM
Sean,

you know, every time I read your posts about clownfish I get an impression that you hate them. You called them scumbags and whatever else. My question is - why, if you dislike them so much, - you still keep them? You cannot be joking all the time for years...

rs2208,

At 1/2" clowns are too young to be sold by a breeder. I suggest you ask that breeder to hold on to them for some time. You probably will not have the resources to rear them in your tank. Also, get just two and watch them grow and pair up.

If you have an anemone get a pair

Clownfish are happy in the right environment with or without an anemone. Does not matter one clown or two.

rs2208
08/04/2003, 03:35 PM
MarinaP,
The clowns are being raised by a local reefer in my area. He told me that they might be ready in three weeks - not now. They are eating flake food. Is any more than a pair in one tank trouble? I might get four, 2 for the main display and 2 for my softy tank. Thanks

JHardman
08/04/2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by rs2208
MarinaP,
The clowns are being raised by a local reefer in my area. He told me that they might be ready in three weeks - not now. They are eating flake food. Is any more than a pair in one tank trouble? I might get four, 2 for the main display and 2 for my softy tank. Thanks

I doubt they are going to be all that much larger in three weeks. The two big problems with selling clowns that are too young is that they need special feeding. You will need to feed them 3-5 times a day and you will not be able to feed them frozen foods or any other food that they might well choke on. Better to have them held until they are at least 3/4" TL (total length).

Most breeders will not sell their fish until they are at a minimum of 3/4" TL, many including ORA do not sell any clownfish before they are at least 1" TL.

MarinaP
08/04/2003, 03:58 PM
What kind of clown sp.? Baby clowns eat flakes even when they are really young, it does not mean they are ready for sale (or will be in three weeks).

rs2208
08/04/2003, 04:10 PM
I believe they are false percula clowns. Sounds like I better wait untill they get bigger. One note - these are not from a breeder. They are from a local guy who's clownfish happened to breed. He wanted to attempt to raise them and it worked out. I saw them and asked if I could buy some of them. Lets say I wait untill they are 3/4" - 1". I still don't know how many can be grouped together in my 185g or if they should be kept in pairs in seperate tanks. Thanks

JHardman
08/04/2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by rs2208
I believe they are false percula clowns. Sounds like I better wait untill they get bigger. One note - these are not from a breeder. They are from a local guy who's clownfish happened to breed. He wanted to attempt to raise them and it worked out. I saw them and asked if I could buy some of them. Lets say I wait untill they are 3/4" - 1". I still don't know how many can be grouped together in my 185g or if they should be kept in pairs in seperate tanks. Thanks

You might find this thread interesting and save me lots of repeat typing. ;)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=223636&goto=newpost

rs2208
08/04/2003, 04:25 PM
JHardman and MarinaP,
Thanks a lot for your input. I guess the best route for me to take would be to:
1. wait untill they are larger
2. keep only one pair in each tank
Thanks again.

kris4647
08/04/2003, 07:02 PM
I'm hardly ever the dissenting opinion but here goes.

The size really shouldnt be a problem. I feed my quarter-half inch True Percs Formula One [Frozen]. Supplemented with HUFA enriched baby brine. I dont sell them at this size but, they seem to do very well with very little in the way of special care or food. I have put them in two installs as trios for people at this size and they are happy, hosting little critters..Just my opinion..... percs are very slow on the grow out to sellable [Is that a word? .:D ..] size. So if you choose to wait it could be a while......As far as multiple clowns in a common tank I just started a thread about that, check it out .....

mobert
08/04/2003, 09:46 PM
I have two parents and 4 10 month old Clarkii in a 240 gallon. They are sooo much fun to watch. The parents have not hurt the youngsters but it may still be too early to say if they will later. They seem to just scold the youngsters (as opposed to trying to kill the Perc). Don't know but as previouly said, Percs have a smaller territory and you may develop more than one pair or an odd man out situation which could lead to problems. I say go for it but be prepared to pull extras out if there is a problem. Also, I have my babies on an automatic flake feeder (Eheim) four times a day and feed them well on either Cyclops-eeze, frozen brine or newly hatched brine each night. If you can make sure they get enough food, they are really cute and a joy to raise from little.

Also, keep in mind that the other posters have much more experience than I do but I really enjoy my multiple clown tank.