PDA

View Full Version : moving insides tank=instant cycling ?

ladybug
08/03/2003, 01:08 AM
i just bought a 150gallon saltwater setup and my neighbor doesnt have time to care for her saltwater/reef tank anymore, she wants to sell it to me. I would be getting everything , the living sand and living rock(10years old) , the water , fish and everything , she said i could just fill my tank half way and add all her stuff, will this kill the fish and "little critters" inside ? or will it make a "instant cycle" if that is possible. Below is the list of what would be making the move.

thanks in advance , ladybug :)

I would be getting a copperband butterfly fish
2 red firefish, yellowhead pearly jawfish
tomato clownfish, and bubble anemone, yellow watchmen goby
emeralds crabs, massarus snails, turbo snails, hermit crabs
calerpa grape fern(curly type), 60lb adapted rock, 2 structures, 40 lb live rock,
coral gravel/argonite sand mix

guitarfish
08/03/2003, 09:20 AM
IMO you're certain to have a cycle. I know of people who've upgraded to larger tanks and just moved everything in one day, and everything survived, but this doesn't mean there isn't a cycle of some sort. I think moving sand is particularly difficult, because of the nature of a sand bed, there's waste in there, etc. When you move it you stir it all up and I can't see how you'd avoid an ammo spike. I took my live rock out once (put it in tank water in a container) just so I could move my tank across the room, and it kicked off a small cycle. No easy answers, sorry.

What I'd do is set up the new system with some water from the neighbor's tank, the rest new water; I'd scoop some sand out of his tank and put it in the new tank, and I'd move a few pieces of rock over too. I'd use a shrimp from the grocery store to start a cycle on the new tank and wait for it to finish. Then I'd slowly move more rock/sand, and the fish over.

mmgm
08/03/2003, 09:57 AM
I would slowly move the contents from the tank you are purchasing to your new tank. As long as you have time take advantage of that. Inverts should be moved last after you are sure you are cycled.