PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: August 23 Lighting Symposium

Reef-lite
07/29/2003, 04:23 PM
The wait is over! I'd like to thank the MANY people that worked to pull this together (I won't use their real names, but you know who they are): SOD, Pyrojon, RobboT, Mantishunter, Inland Reef, Aqua Addicts, the NH members for helping us search for a venue, Jciwlsn for finding the venue, and special thanks to Moe Kirby, without whom none of this would have happened.

It’s been a hot, sunny summer and it’s about to get a little bit hotter and brighter! The Boston Reefers Society is excited to announce that we will be hosting Bright Ideas: Lighting for the Reef Aquarium, a lighting symposium sponsored by Inland Reef to be held in Nashua, NH on August 23, 2003. The symposium features keynote speaker Sanjay Joshi and guest speaker Tullio Dell Aquila. We will be raffling and auctioning drygoods along with frags from Dr. Mac and Sons Corals to raise funds for MACNA XVI, which the BRS will host in September 2004. In addition, we have also sent out invitations to lighting manufacturers in the hopes to have vendors exhibit their products at the event. There will also be a post-event BBQ hosted by our sponsor Inland Reef. A grand re-opening of Inland Reef’s new store will follow the BBQ. We hope you will join us for this special occasion. All attendees must reserve their seat by RSVPing at www.bostonreefers.org. We would like to give special thanks to Inland Reef for their support of this event.

Event location: Sheraton Tara hotel, Nashua, NH 03063 (www.sheraton.com/nashua)
BBQ/grand opening location: 522 Amherst Street (RT 101A), Nashua, NH 03063 (www.inlandreef.com/map.html)

12:00 to 01:00 Vendor exhibits and registration ($6 BRS members/$10 non-members – subject to change at our discretion)
01:00 to 02:00 Guest speaker Tullio dell Aquila, Lighting for the Reef Aquaria
02:00 to 03:30 Keynote speaker Sanjay Joshi, Impact of Reflectors on Light Distribution
03:30 to 04:00 Raffle and auction
04:00 to 05:00 Vendor exhibits
05:00 to 00:00 BBQ hosted by Inland Reef followed by grand re-opening

Please be sure to visit our announcements page (http://www.bostonreefers.org/announcements/lightingevent.php) for all of the details regarding the event, including how to RSVP, where/when to view the Dr. Mac frags, and bios on our speakers.

Cheers,
BRS Officers

moe_k
07/29/2003, 04:32 PM
Big thanks to Reef-lite for all the work he did on this!
:bounce1: :bounce1:
I'm so glad we've finally made the announcement.

Now I'll need help organizing the tank tour on the next day (Sunday 24Aug2003) and we'll need folks to help out at the Sheraton with little tasks like collecting admission, etc.

If you went to the Jan 2003 Borneman/Calfo event, you know how many little jobs pop up. You folks came through for us then, and I'm counting on you to come through again this August. :p

dad300
07/29/2003, 04:32 PM
That is way too cool. I'm on vacation that week too. Now to convince the wife to let me go. My 20gl should be ready for something very low light by then.

Keith Sheridan
07/29/2003, 04:41 PM
:thumbsup: Sounds like it will be fun. Just to get it out of the way I will assume there will not be a BRS sponsered frag swap at this event because of the auction. I am excited to go, I hope people will be able to attend on such short notice.

moe_k
07/29/2003, 04:44 PM
I hope people will be able to attend on such short notice.
A month is short notice? You keep quite a schedule. I don't know what I'm up to tomorrow. :p

Keith Sheridan
07/29/2003, 04:52 PM
Unemployment is a busy lifestyle. I think I may be sleeping then. I was just going off of how the July (8/3) meeting is shaping up. Also it is just over three weeks away, for a big meeting which we want the largest turnout of the last six months, having it set earlier would have been nice. But logistics of setting it up required a few things to fall into place so it is understood.

I just don't think it is enough time for me to get a job, get my first check and have that buning feeling in my wallet.

Armando
07/29/2003, 08:42 PM
Very cool! Just seems that 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours may not be enough to talk about lighting. I think some of us could talk about lighting for hours and hours! :) Will there be a Q&A at the end? Thanks!

moe_k
07/29/2003, 08:47 PM
I imagine that like most presentations, there will be time for a few questions at the end of the speaking.
If you notice, there is also a lot of time after the presentations when our guests should be available for some chatting.

Armando
07/30/2003, 03:55 PM
So it looks like there will be no frag swap in August. Is that right?

moe_k
07/30/2003, 07:29 PM
As it stands today - there's no frag swap at the 23August2003 meeting at the Sheraton Tara.

There may be a roadtrip cooking the last weekend of August to trade frags with folks from other regions. More on that as it develops. I've not heard anything lately - and it'll be in another thread.

RobboT
07/30/2003, 07:38 PM
All I can say is "#$@^&%!^%$! "

Who the hell gets married in August . . . I can't go . . . :mad:

Not to worry Im sure you will all tell me how spectacular it was and who won all the nifty raffle items. Can't even bid on a freaking Dr. Mac frag.

Rob

Scuba_Dave
08/02/2003, 07:59 PM
I'm in, the wife may have to work, but we'll see.

moe_k
08/18/2003, 08:15 AM
Just a reminder...
Event is this Saturday.
Please use link above to RSVP if you're planning on attending.
Thanks.