PDA

View Full Version : UltraLife Red Slime remover

Syris
07/29/2003, 02:58 PM
I have been battling a hair algae and cyano for a while now. I bought a RO/DI unit and have been using it for a little over a month. I did 25% water changes every other day for a week and now 25% once a week. My hair algae is gone. But I still have some red cyano left on the sand and some very green cyano on the rocks. The red cyano is not a problem (it is disappearing) the green cyano is still spreading rather fast. I've done a lot of searches on this and tried the recommended list: increase flow, lights are new, using RO/DI, fuge w/macro, .......
Sorry for the long history. I just didn't want you to think I was looking for a quick fix without trying other routes first.

Bottom line I'm going to try UltraLife Red Slime remover. I feel this will work and cyano will not come back because I have took care of the underliying problems (used to use well water)
My question is has anybody local tried this stuff? What tips can you give me? There is a warning on the package about possible low oxygen levels when using, in that case should I shut my skimmer off or leave it on?

nanonano
07/29/2003, 03:16 PM
I've used it once and it did take cared of the red cyno problem. I put in the amount instructed by the manufacturer. I also turned off the skimmer and only the return pump was running. After a few days when I plug my skimmer back in, it went crazy it fill the collection cup in an hour and did it 2 or 3 times. So beware of the over fillig problem.
Richard

Syris
07/29/2003, 08:59 PM
Well I added it. My tank looks yellow-green now. But everything looks the same otherwise. I also pulled my activated carbon out. We'll see in 48hrs how things go.

Did anybody that used this stuff have to redose again after the 48hrs mentioned on the directions?

jimmyj7090
07/29/2003, 10:48 PM
I reccently had a battle with red cyno and a strange hair algae. The problem traced back to spent RO cartridges and membrane. after replacing all the RO components it took a good two months before the cyno really started crashing.

I didn't do water changes as aggressively as you have been, but it took quite a while for it to work out. Maybe just consider giving it a little longer to work itself out.

I never tried the slime remover so I can't comment, but I'm always skeptical of things that cure symptoms and not causes (nutrient buildup)

jk

nanonano
07/30/2003, 07:53 AM
I never redose but I waited longer then the recommended time period. I think it was somewhere 3- 4 days before the cyno in the tank started to crash.
Richard

Reef-lite
07/30/2003, 08:02 AM
I've used it successfully. But multiple, consecutive doses may be necessary. Make sure you add an air diffuser (especially if you turned off your skimmer) and keep an eye on your pH. The red slime remover can cause the pH to crash. There's nothing wrong with running carbon now. In fact, you're going to need too or it'll be a week or more before you can use your skimmer again. It's also a good idea to do a water change too (after waiting the required amount of time per the instructions). Good luck.

denvig
07/30/2003, 01:01 PM
Has it been established that you have been running a skimmer? If not I would recommend one as this should help. IMO :)

Syris
07/30/2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for everyones replies.

Reef-lite wrote
There's nothing wrong with running carbon now.

Oh, I thought maybe the carbon may remove the RedSlime remover from the water so I took my bag of carbon out.
So you think its OK to add it back in then?

I do plan on doing a 25% water change after the treatment as I can imagine there will be a lot of organics in the water once the cyano dies off.

Denvig,
Yeah I have always run a Remora Pro w/mag3 skimmer 24/7. Right now it is off because of the Red Slime remover treatment.
You should see my sump almost looks like a bubble bath right now. I now know why its recommended to shut off the skimmer, I can imagine the mess it would make:rolleyes: