PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Growth

Zoolander
07/29/2003, 01:47 PM
I've recently cycled a 75g tank with about a 100lbs of fiji LR and have noticed that some of the coralline growth is beginning to fade,,,Partically, the orange and greens! I know this is normal, but I have decided on going with MH's and in the process of building a custom canopy most likely in the upcoming month or so is there anything i can do to perserve as much coralline as i can until i get it set up. My question? Besides keeping the alk and Ca up, is there anything I can do? I have standard 40w NO unit over it now.. would possibly buying a 40w actinic bulb help until I truly add the right lighting to the tank. thanks

Keith Sheridan
07/29/2003, 01:52 PM
Many strains of coralline grow in low light situations. In fact the 40w NO may keep more coralline than the MH.

Scuba_Dave
07/29/2003, 01:54 PM
I had nice purple growing under 45w NO. Then I installed dual 65w LOA w/30w NO, still more, plus yellow/bright green.
Switched to MH & diff colors growing, purp now growing at a deeper depth. Light yellow up top/green.

jack fors
07/30/2003, 07:51 AM
Are you dripping Kalk at all? My tank has been up since last Dec. I started dripping Kalk about two months ago what a differance in coralline growth. HTH
Jack

The Perfect Pet
07/30/2003, 02:52 PM
Magnesium is also very impotant for the growth of Coraline Algea. As it is for all types of growth in corals as well. This is one element commonly overlooked in our reef tanks. Some current studies show that correct Magnesium levels may be just as important as our Ca and Alk. levels.

-B-