PDA

View Full Version : Filter Options

TOMstir62
07/29/2003, 01:08 PM
I am going to be setting up a 125 gl reef (with fish) aquarium and I am not sure wether to use a sump/overflow filter system or a closed loop inline system such as the inline system by Rainbow lifeguard. What are the pros and cons to these two systems. Are there any other alternatives which might be worth investigating? I will appreciate all responses and suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Fizz71
07/29/2003, 01:14 PM
I have all closed loop and sometimes wish I had a sump. The sump allows you to add more water volume to your system and gives you a place to hide things like skimmers and heaters. Some of the stuff you can buy inline, but it gets expensive.

Higher water volume means more stability. Although if you're tank isn't drilled, gravity fed overflows can be a pain in the *ss. Closed loop lets you move ALOT more water.

Sumps also give you a place for a refugium or more live rock. In my system, I had to build an above tank fuge fed from a split in my closed loop that gravity drains back into the tank. It makes me nervous, but I didn't have a choice since i didn't have room for a sump.

Good Luck.

--Fizz

daytonians
07/29/2003, 01:46 PM
Just yanked out my sump last weekend. It was a pain in the @ss since the tank is not drilled. It was also extremely noisy.

I am going to replace it with an above the tank refugium. For a refugium, this is a much better location. Also, there is no danger of overflow from power outages and so forth.

If I ever replace the sump, it will be with a large tupperware tub just to increase water volume. I doubt that I ever will though.

Thanks,
Matt