PDA

View Full Version : fish list

wanareef
07/29/2003, 06:41 AM
I have been looking around the sponsors descriptions on the fish and reading.
The first ? is on the marine betta. Does this fish belong in a FOWLR tank? It has been mentioned that it is reef safe but with some caution. We have clams and rose bta and don't want any nippers. Anyone had any problems?

The next tank will be an in the tank 72"l x 36"d x 28"h mixed reef , wth a 90 aga sump and a 29h above the tank fuge. Not sure if we wil have a rose only tank, but will have several diy frag tanks no more than 30gals ea. So this total water system will be around 400 gals - ouch the water bill.

Fish list:
current in our tank-
tomatos
bi color psudochromis
sailfin blenny
yellow tang (to be gone)
yellow tail dam-sels (to be gone)

to be added:
marine betta ?
purple queen anthais
squarebox anthais
royal gramma
baggai cardinal
spotted cardinal
bar goby
rainford goby
yel watchman goby
sailfin tang (zebrasoma veliferum)
achilles tang

Please critique - if there is anything that might be added but I think this is enough fish for the size tank.
:D

Triggeraddict
07/29/2003, 07:22 AM
The Marine Betta is considered reef safe because it will leave all corals and anemones alone. Any of the mobile inverts on the other hand are a different story. They will demolish shrimps, crabs, etc. I would keep Bar Gobies in school. It will hid all the time by itself especially with larger more active fish. Not quite sure about compatibility of most of the others. Sorry predatory fish is my specialty and my only dip into peaceful marine fish is Dart Gobies and Seahorses.

StacyT
07/29/2003, 09:30 AM
Some of what you list are very difficult, and should be left to the very experienced only. The achilles tang, and anthias, both have poor survival rates.

The 2 cardinals will probably end up fighting. Not 100% on this, but from what I remember 2 cardinals, that are not a mated pair, will end up fighting to the death. Don't know if it apllies to 2 different families of the same species though.

Marine beta can be difficult to get eating. Once acclimated they do really well, but need to be fed frozen foods such as krill, silversides, shrimp. Probably not a good choice for a reef.