PDA

View Full Version : first catastrophe

hardo4
07/28/2003, 07:42 AM
Well after reading all the threads of various mistakes that have been made I after several months have made a good one. Needless to say, a lot of my coral does not seem to be looking too good and my only two fish have passed on...talk about a bummer. I accidentally turned the heater up to over 90+ degrees last night when I was cleaning out the skimmer...I'm soo sad.

I'll have to see how things are when I get home tonight. I adjusted the heater, turned all my fans on, and dropped in some ice (in a bag). Hopefully some of the corals pull through, and the other critters....

gumhead
07/28/2003, 07:49 AM
Dam, sorry to here that :(

I would not put the ice in. You should let the temp go down slowly, a quick temp swing will do more damage then the hot temp. Just let it go down on its own.

Good luck and I hope you dont loose anything else. :(

hardo4
07/28/2003, 08:04 AM
good point gumhead...luck for me I guess then that there was not that much ice...since over the weekend my cousin had left my freezer open and everything melted....man, "when it rains it pours"....LOL

I just won't put any more in..

denvig
07/28/2003, 10:39 AM
WOW hang in there I hope it works out for you.

Armando
07/28/2003, 11:42 AM
That's sad, I am very sorry to hear it. I had a thermostat failure this past week and lost all my leathers and some zoos so I know exactly how it feels. I got a controller to avoid this happening again. It was a good $150 investment and I recommend it.

hardo4
07/28/2003, 06:14 PM
I'm still dissappointed that this had to happen to me...lets just say, I've learned another valuable lesson. still goign to keep going though. I think two or three clusters of xenia pulled through, my green tree, 1 hairy mushroom, and a bunch of snails and crabs....have to wait until tonight to see if any, which i doubt, pep. shrimp pulled through......

Will my tank go through a miny cycle now? Is there anything that I should do that will help get everything back in order?

TIA,