PDA

View Full Version : I just saw a tobacco co. anti(sh) smoking ad

O'Man
07/27/2003, 08:22 PM
What gives? I just saw a Phillip Morris ad about how they support anti smoking programs. This is nuts. What a joke. I have finally stopped smoking after 29 years, and my lungs hurt more now than they did while I smoked. I know it will get better, but for now I need to complain. The good news is I am saving enough money from quitting that, along with my breath, my sense of humor has improved.

chaseracing
07/27/2003, 08:32 PM
Any small business that advertised to "please don't buy our product" would be commiting financial suicide.

Phillip Morris is another story completely. They can do it, and they will do it, and by doing these commercials they will save themselves billions of dollars in future lawsuits becuase they can now tell the judge that they advertised on national tv that their product was dangerous and that people should not buy it.

I think it is absolutely brilliant!! Hats off to whoever thought up that idea.

And......I am a smoker.

-=E=-

dc
07/27/2003, 11:05 PM
I have finally stopped smoking after 29 years, and my lungs hurt more now than they did while I smoked

LOL, all that fresh air in your lungs is killing you!:D

serial reefer
07/27/2003, 11:23 PM
Isn't that amazing, a company saying don't buy our product :eek1: I have to agree it's to protect them (somewhat) from lawsuits. It's also weird that some people die from smoking at young ages (50-60) while others like my grandmother-in-law are still smoking at 85!!

Oleta
07/28/2003, 04:44 AM
I thought that the campaigns were being done as part of settlements from previous lawsuits??

RicksReefs
07/28/2003, 05:23 AM
they're doing it because they have to.
it's all part of the settlements.

chaseracing
07/30/2003, 08:37 PM
They may be doing it because they have to, but it is still not going to harm them in any way.

It's a beautiful thing. I bet that when the crabby old judge decided to include this in the settlement, secretly inside the tobacco execs were cheering becuase they got off easy!
-=E=-

sammystingray
07/31/2003, 12:28 AM
It is common sense that smoking is bad, so is drinking.....why isn't Busch paying for anti drinking ads? Chocolate is bad for your health......causes obesity and health issues?? It is absolutely stupid and unbelievable to make a company pay for ads to stop people from buying their product in my opinion.....regardless of what it is. I'm waiting for the Hersheys commercial where they say their product is unhealthy and can cause health issues down the road...........ever seen a super fat really old guy?? I see really old skinny guys smoking all the time.:D :D I smoke, and it is a really bad thing to ever start, but to make ANY company pay to tell people not to buy their own product is outrageous........even one that isn't healthy. Warning should be clearly visible, and those who have been around awhile know that they have seriously cracked down on selling to minors....I used to buy a pack on my way walking to seventh grade. :rolleyes: Not real sure how I feel about the health care dollars, but I still say no company should have to do that.

Tersname
07/31/2003, 01:00 AM
Some people appreciate the fact that Phillip Morris supposely cares about their consumers. So in a way it is positive advertising. But when you think of how many people who are idiots (and don't know what smoking long-term does to a body) see this commercial and not take up smoking on the basis of the commercial, yes P.M. will be losing potentially millions of dollars, but you have to compare that to the people that will start smoking P.M. because they care about their consumers. It might even out.
People are very funny about why they chose a particular brand for loyalty.

dendronepthya
07/31/2003, 01:13 AM
The brilliant thing about alcohol advertising is they have stated since day 1 that they make a harmful product that should be handled responsibly or not at all. Tobacco companies got into so much trouble because they denied all the evidence that smoking is dangerous to one's health. As a part of the settlement, they had to pay a boatload of money and fund anti-smoking commercials.

SBGRAD24
07/31/2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by dendronepthya
Tobacco companies got into so much trouble because they denied all the evidence that smoking is dangerous to one's health.

Haven't warning labels been on cigarettes for decades? Any smoker who claims they had no idea smoking was bad for them is a huge moron.

sammystingray
07/31/2003, 06:59 AM
How long ago did they pull the TV ads? This isn't anything new.....I hope nobody just realized breathing in the concentrated results of any material on fire isn't a good thing for their health.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Alchohol is near as addictive in my opinion, and often the results are much much worse, and frequently involve innocent bystanders as well as health issues on the person......and I'm talking death, not being bothered by smoke while you are eating......anyway where's the ads saying the product can destroy your liver?? All I see are "don't drink and drive" ads.....nothing about the fact you could destroy your liver?? I seriously hope this hasn't made a case to be used in winning other cases.....we won't be able to buy anything but wheat burgers and vitamins pretty soon. If you don't know by now that cigarettes are addictive and can kill you long term......you probably aren't much use to society anyway.

thrlride
07/31/2003, 07:16 AM
My mother and father have been smoking for the last 45 years and they are total opposites. My father doesn't show any signs of being unhealthy from it but my mother is in bad shape. Her aorta artery is shot to where she needs surgery, her lungs are worthless and she is no oxygen. She's in the hospital every 4 or 5 months for breathing problems. I understand it is very hard to quit for some people but hopefully these truth advertisments and all the other anti smoking stuff will persuade others to not start.

I'll be driving down the road or walking around and see a very pretty/attractive/sexy girl and as soon as I see the cancer stick in her hand/mouth I am turned off.

My wife and I are both very anti-smoking, knowing Murphy's Law, my daughter will take it up. She's only seven months old so I have a long time to stew over that one.

JazzMan
07/31/2003, 07:26 AM
For those who say that these adds or settlements are not hurting MO's bottom line, just look at recent earning reports.....