PDA

View Full Version : I saw a dead whale in Maine.

Heavydc2
07/27/2003, 01:54 PM
I was up in Small Point ME, which is about 20 minutes South(east) of Bath. We heard there was a dead whale out on the point so we went out to investigate. It had been there for about a week, the head was completely missing. IT was discolored. I am not sure what kind it was, but it was pretty big. I guess an official had been out to see it and said there was nothing they could do but wait till a really high tide came in and brought it out. I might be able to get some pictures of it, I did not have my camera but My mom did. It was pretty gross, and sad to see.

Spudds
07/27/2003, 07:34 PM
My family has a vacation home around there. Kennebec Point, about 4 minutes from Bath.

Spudds.

clutchcargo
07/28/2003, 08:11 AM
A week of huge rotting flesh, the smell must have been something.

Heavydc2
07/28/2003, 08:34 AM
Yeah it was pretty ripe when we were down wind of it. Where it is located is in a pretty remote place so not many people will or have seen it. I do not know how to tell what kind it was. All I can say was it had striations on its belly. I have seen some whales that have that and some that don't. I will try to get the picture of it.

clutchcargo
07/28/2003, 08:53 AM
It must have been dead for quite a while at sea too, if the head was nibbled off. Of course, assuming nothing larger ate the head in one bite. Yikes!

Heavydc2
07/28/2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah rumour had it that it had washed up somewhere else first then the tide took it over there. I would not want to be anywhere near that something bigger (if it was lol).