PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is it

denvig
07/26/2003, 11:26 PM
I was just passing by my tank and saw a bright florescent green like light blinking inside. It is on the end of a piece of live rock very thin (maybe the width of two or three pieces of hair) and about a 1/4� to 3/8� long. It was blinking like a firefly I thought I was seeing things so I called my son and he saw it to. What the heck is it. I tried to look at it with a flashlight but it just looks like a part of the rock. it was almost like a glowing watch dial that glows at night. :confused::eek1: :eek1:

gumhead
07/27/2003, 08:14 AM
I have heard of bio-luminous creatures in reef tanks before but cant seem to find the threads now :(
Your not crazy, but it does seem to be very rare. I would try searching RC more or checking with Dr. Ron.

Yanni
07/27/2003, 02:23 PM
I had a similiar creature in my tank years ago. It was about 2 inches long,lived under the surface of the coraline and looked like a flashing neon green light. It would always happen after lights out at night. Through changing of rock patterns and moves i lost it but i could never figure out what it was....i imagine it was a type of tube worn from the shape but never sure.

Brimarbio
07/27/2003, 02:39 PM
I had sort of the same thing a while back too, only saw it after lights out and it would blink. Never did figure it out but it seemed to stop one day, actually it was right around the same time I learned to set the clock on the VCR right across from the tank (that darn thing must have been flashing 12:00 for a year!)

;)

Greg Hiller
07/27/2003, 09:33 PM
Years ago I had a bioluminesent brittle star. I didn't purchase it, but it must have come in on something. I first saw it when I was putting something in the tank after the lights went off and brushed against it. The arms would light up like errie pale blue/green lightining. Very cool. I don't know if it's still in my tank as I haven't seen it in a few years.

denvig
07/29/2003, 03:15 PM
Well I saw it again last night. This time it was on the glass, it was some kind of worm about ½� long blinking a bright florescent green about once every second. Once I looked at it with a flashlight it stopped blinking. It was very cool, will wonders never cease. I hope it keeps happening.

Scuba_Dave
07/29/2003, 03:23 PM
I had the lights off for about a 1/2 hr & found a starfish on the front of the tank. No clue where it came from.

moe_k
07/29/2003, 03:25 PM
See if you can get a picture - even if it's just the worm lit by a flashlight. A pic of the glowing would be too cool, though.

denvig
07/29/2003, 04:03 PM
Yes! I told my son that we should have tried to photo it before we put the light on it. But that’s my plan if it happens again.