PDA

View Full Version : what to feed kole tang

Corwyn
07/26/2003, 10:13 AM
I got a kole tang donated to my tank and though he's active, picking at the glass, I haven't really seen him eat anything.

I've tried Nori, letucce, formula 2.

The only thing I've seen him really eat is the injured
brain coral (from my valve/poweroutage disaster) He is actively
picking at the dead/dying tissue.

I thought Tangs were herbavours?

Corwyn

ScavDog
07/26/2003, 10:19 AM
FWIW, Koles are tough to keep and are picky eaters for the most-part.

Chances are he is picking micro-algae/diatoms off of the dying brain coral.

one eye
07/26/2003, 11:20 AM
I had a Kole tang for some time. They are very delicate, mine died when I changed substrates (all my fish died when I changed the substrate) before that he mostly fed by scraping algea off the rock work but he did eat Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies (green seaweed) and I did see him eat some frozen brine on occasion

Corwyn
07/26/2003, 11:33 AM
Well, I am incouraged by mine then - I think.

He's only been in the tank for about a week and survived a major disaster in my tank.

If you haven't read - I lost power Tuesday morning and one of my check valves failed. I lost about 75-90 gallons out of my 180.
It was without circulation for about 4-5 hours. and I had to add pretty much raw mixed salt water - about 35G - just to cover up the rocks. Then had the tank running with a submarsible pump for about 12 hours while I was making RODI and mix salt.

No fish lost so far. The only casualty is my red open brain so far and he only lost about 15%. Scroll and leather are not happy, but my maximas didn't bat an eye. Capricornis green and orange are fine, birds nest is fine. We'll see.

Corwyn

Greg Hiller
07/26/2003, 02:07 PM
I had a Kole tang for about 4 years. Mine would eat a wide variety of foods, but it had trouble with fleshy dried algae. They do like to eat film algaes and diatoms. I'd suggest you try, or keep trying frozen algae type foods. Mine would eat Spirulina flake food, and just about anything else. One thing to keep in mind, even though they have a large mouth, they cannot swallow large pieces of firm foods. They are also quite shy.

Sea Serpent
07/26/2003, 05:59 PM
hi Corwyn - I also have a cole tang. He was very shy the first week, but he is eating well and is picking at all of the rocks. I got him specifically because of some red hair algea in my tank and he has been eating it gradually. He is really a beautiful fish and he is now eating flake, frozen and even a granular food. He hasn't touched nori, and can't seem to figure out the formula 2 cube.

Good luck with your handsome fish.

mikrok
07/27/2003, 12:01 AM
i had a sri lanka kole tang for a while, bought from TI. mostly greyish/white with a little blue and a white tail. it ate frozen brine and mysid, and picked at my rock, but he got a little too agressive for my tank so i found a home for him. great fish. perhaps culture some algae on some rock rubble and replenish pieces in the main tank?

Corwyn
07/27/2003, 08:13 AM
well just to keep you updated.

I was feeding my terrorists (4 green chromis) frozen blood worms
and I noticed the Kole started chowing down on it.

Wasn't shy about it either!

Corwyn