PDA

View Full Version : ipsf detritivore kit comming friday

kermit8730
04/30/2001, 08:06 AM
I will be adding a detritivore kit from ipsf on friday to a 75 gal with a blueheaded wrasse, a yellow headed sleeper goby,a scooter bleney, a flame scalop, an urchan,and 2 cleaner shrimp.I'm just wondering, with theese inhabitants already in there, will the animals in the detritivore kit make it into the sand bed where they belong? or will they just end up being expensive fish food ??

W_dailey
04/30/2001, 08:44 AM
You might want to set up a refugium, i did what you are going to do and posted a similar post as you and most people said a refuge gives everything a better chance to flourish....so i put in a 20 gal long and added a LOA 65 watt and it works pretty good...

rshimek
04/30/2001, 10:52 AM
Hi,

You are right to be concerned. A lot of your animal will simply eat the detritivores before they can get going in your sand bed.

The refugium may be a good idea, but in the long run you have to get the animals to the sand bed. Probably the best way to do this will be to feed well just as the lights go out and add the detrivores to the tank some place where the predators in your tank aren't.

In most cases, the detritivores will burrow in and be safe in a few minutes, but you have got to give them those few minutes or you will have spent your money for nothing.

volk23
04/30/2001, 12:48 PM
im getting one of those kits too from them. And I also was thinking about that problem so i figured to use a Coda 2l bottle without a bottom. Sink that into the DSB and let all the creatures to hide in the sand before fish eats it.

Doc, will that work?

rshimek
04/30/2001, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Yes, that sounds like a very good idea!

Thanks for posting it. :D

ReefDream
05/01/2001, 05:31 PM
kermit8730,

I am getting a kit the exact same day and will be adding it then. I wonder if the two will be about the same then...