PDA

View Full Version : Is PVC pipe OK?

Ken2001
07/24/2003, 03:32 PM
What type of plastic pipe does everyone use for plumbing their tanks? I was at Home Depot looking at pipes and fittings and one of the workers there told me that the white PVC is not OK to use (not to code) for home drinking water lines and therefore would not be OK to use for plumbing an aquarium. He said something about it leaching chemicals, but didn't really know specifically what the problem is. So, my question, is what kind of plastic pipe should I be buying? And also, is there a specific type of plastic pipe that I should avoid?

Ken

Scuba_Dave
07/24/2003, 03:50 PM
I have PVC in my tank, I think that is what most people use. I have seen skimmers & everything else made out of it.

Willistein
07/24/2003, 04:00 PM
I believe white PVC is now more standard than copper for drinking water lines. It's cheaper too.

Marco67
07/24/2003, 04:33 PM
There are two different wall thicknesses. The thinner is stamped "not for pressure" and is not allowed. There is a new tubing that is becoming very popular for residential use called "pecs" (sp?) it is allowed in many of or neighboring states and soon to be allowed in Mass.
Your HD associate may have been thinking of polybuteline (sp?) tubing that was popular some years back and has since been determined to be a problem (no longer allowed by code)

As far as tank plumbing goes I like the flexible PVC or "Spa Flex" it's great because it takes all standard PVC fitting sizes but you are able to make sweeping bends and angels (minimizing head loss) and it's much faster to work with.

Here's a pretty good pic/example of a spa flex application http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2005caRX2-med.JPG

Scuba_Dave
07/24/2003, 04:34 PM
I don't think I've seen the flex PVC at HD. Plumbing supply store maybe?

Marco67
07/24/2003, 04:38 PM
Believe it or not the best price I can find right now is at a local ACE hardware. I would think maybe a spa or pool dealer might be a good place to check also.

Scott Merrill
07/24/2003, 04:46 PM
try grainger.com or mcmastercarr.com they should have it too.

Reef-lite
07/24/2003, 04:47 PM
I got a couple loops of 1" flex pvc if anyone wants to buy it from me. I'll have to go home and measure how many feet I have (besides the two at the end of my legs!).

gumhead
07/24/2003, 06:12 PM
That PVC flex rocks! I used it for my returns! I dont like the fact that it has ridges on the in side tho, for a supply you would loose a little head with the friction from the ribs. I got mine at ACE also...

http://www.littlereef.com/photo_post/data/25/1pvcflex.jpg

David S
07/24/2003, 06:49 PM
I can get flex pvc at wholesale 1"X50' for $25.50 :D I can get other sizes too just ask

gumhead
07/24/2003, 06:53 PM
Wow i wish i knew that before! I payed a small fortune for it :(

Heres another pic. You can see how it is ribbed Im sure you would not loose to much but i chose to go with black plastic tubing for my supply.

http://www.littlereef.com/photo_post/data/25/1pvcflex2.jpg

David S
07/24/2003, 07:08 PM
the best thing I like about it is it is sked 40 and you can glue it to a 1" fitting or slide 3/4 sked 40 pipe inside and hose clamp so it is also a reducer :smokin:

yaktop
07/24/2003, 07:21 PM
ribbed cuts down the flow but if you have less angles you pick up less friction. depends on your application but I wouldnt worry about it.

marco always has the cool stuff.

Ken2001
07/25/2003, 09:47 AM
That spa flex looks like just what the doctor ordered. Does the spa flex come in 1.5 inch diameter? I'm looking at pretty good sized bulkheads for the flow down to the basement, and am also looking to have the tubing pretty good sized for the returns. Larger diameter returns mean less friction and higher flow, so I think I'll go with 1.5 if possible.

Ken

Marco67
07/25/2003, 10:09 AM
Ken be careful with the return size. There comes a point when you will get less flow. A larger tubing also means a larger / heavier water column your pumping against.

Ken2001
07/25/2003, 10:18 AM
Marc,

I'll be using a Iwasaki 100 pressure-rated pump (the Japanese version) that will be pumping from the sump in the basement up to the tank on the first floor. The return will T off to form two separate returns. I think you've got a similar setup (you offered to show it to me last spring, but so far I haven't had a chance to get away on the weekends) - what size returns and pump do you use?

Ken

Auberon
07/25/2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by David S
I can get flex pvc at wholesale 1"X50' for $25.50 :D I can get other sizes too just ask

David,

Could I get a roll of 1" and 1.5" ? I'll PM you.

Marco67
07/25/2003, 10:46 AM
I'm sure somewhere there is a chart for the optimum pipe size/ flow rate, ..... maybe not it would be difficult, so many variables: exact make and model of pump, head loss, distance traveled (frictional loss) etc.

Anyhow what I do know for sure is my longest run is about 25" of 3/4" spa flex for a total rise of 10' (floor of basement to top of tank) running a PCX-40 pump (rated at 1180gph) I'm getting 600gph.

That Iwaki 100 is one nice piece of equipment!
Maybe Iwaki could offer some pipe sizing suggestions?
I believe that pump comes with 1" mpt fittings ? why not just stick with 1"

Another thing to consider is: What size will you reduce to at your outflow? if your using something like a SCWD it's 3/4" Whenever you "neck" down you create back pressure. What I would question is, Does that back pressure combined with the water volume in the 1 1/2"column create more head loss than the frictional head loss of a smaller pipe size?:confused:

Hope I don't sound argumentative .... I just love this S#!T:mixed:

matt-davis sq.
07/25/2003, 11:24 AM
Hmmm.... I'd thought I'd posted to this thread already, but I guess it didn't go through.

Anyhow, to back up a bit, PVC is 100% okay for saltwater aquariums. I am not sure why PVC is not to code in MA for potable water supply. However, you need not go to CPVC, or even another polymer like HDPE. Use PVC.

The PVC that we use in saltwater aquaria will leach plasticisers, just like all plastic products. However, it is presumed that PVC pipe will be in service in a house for like 100 years. You would be lucky if you don't redo your aquarium plumbing after 3 years. The plasticisers are leached very, very slowly over the years. I know some of the plasticisers, and they don't seem like anything that activated carbon won't take care of. I am not sure about their long-term health risks to humans. Once the plasticisers are gone, the PVC will turn brittle and crack. I could imagine that in a house, you don't want pipes to start bursting after the PVC has degraded. And even if that isn't convincing enough, the main plumbing on our tank often develops a film or coating. This would further protect the PVC.

I hope this helps,

Matt:cool:

David S
07/25/2003, 07:25 PM
1 1/2 X50' is $38.90 1 1/2 X100 is 77.75

Ken2001
07/26/2003, 08:00 AM
Marc,

No worries about being argumentative -- the reason I asked the question was to gather thoughts about how to go about this.

For the tank, I'm planning on having it drilled w/ two corner overflows, two 1.5" holes on either side for drain and return w/ Durso standpipes. The way I understand it, the advantages of larger diameter is that for the overflow, bigger means easier flow, and less gurgling noise. For the returns, bigger means less friction and better flow.

I lucked out on the Iwasaki a while ago when a guy was breaking down his system, and I bought this and a 5.5' skimmer - I couldn't have afforded it new out of the box. I believe the Iwasaki 100 has about the same amount of flow as you've got with your pump, and I'm trying to not lose too much gph. Of course, you're right -- I need to find out what the optimal diameter recomended for the pump is, so I'd better go to their web site and check it out.

The biggest thing delaying setting up everything is just transporting the tank to get it drilled -- I've just got to get out and do it.

David -- I'll be contacting you about getting a roll or two - that sounds like a great price.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

Ken