PDA

View Full Version : Hey hows that humidity lately?

Syris
07/24/2003, 09:14 AM
It sucks, thats how it is:mad: With all these thunderstorms and rain my wife turned off the AC in the living rm where my tank is. I got home last night to find the living rm 80F and my tank 84F:eek2: So far no bleaching. I have since kindly asked my wife to please leave the AC on or she may kill my tank and then I will have to spend more money. I think that got thru to her :D Why did I pick this week to upgrade my lighting:rolleyes:

gumhead
07/24/2003, 09:15 AM
84 is not that high

karl wagner
07/24/2003, 09:17 AM
a fan across the water surface will remove a lot of that heat convection.

check out a simple installation in my gallery for an example.

Syris
07/24/2003, 09:17 AM
It is too me:p I had a Green slimer acro start to bleach last year when my tank hit 84F. I like to keep it no higher than 82F

Syris
07/24/2003, 09:20 AM
I have a clip on fan on the sump thats on 24/7. I may add one to the fuge now as well. I think the biggets problem is my sump and fuge are on the other side of the wall from the tank, which is the furnace rm. Gets very hot in there, no AC, probally transfers a lot of heat to my tank.

Reef-lite
07/24/2003, 09:29 AM
Hey it could be worse. You could come home to find out that the GFCI tripped for no apparent reason and that the temp is down to 75 degrees and the pH crashing (my tank is in the basement)! That's what happened to me yesterday. I had one of those battery operating air pumps that kicks on when the power goes out, but the tubing somehow fell out of the tank (make sure you securely fix those back-up air pumps to your tank!). Does anyone know why LPS and anemones expand when they are under stress? My frogspawn, trumpets and rose anemone were all bloated. At least twice the size they usually are. Everything seems okay today, but only time will tell.

karl wagner
07/24/2003, 09:35 AM
there's more dissolved oxygen at lower temperatures.

Syris
07/24/2003, 09:36 AM
Reef-lite,

Yeah, I know it could be worse. I have 3 daughters (one is a teenager), listening to them complain all the time has turned me into a drama queen sometimes:lol:

I hope everything turns out well for you and your LPS and anemones settle down.

gumhead
07/24/2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Syris
It is too me:p I had a Green slimer acro start to bleach last year when my tank hit 84F. I like to keep it no higher than 82F
There might have been other problems to make your slimmer bleach. A. yongei's are pretty hardy as far as Acro's go. My tank goes up to 84 all the time with no ill effects and my tank is full of SPS's. Yes 84 is about as high as you would like to see and you should try fans or keep the AC on, but its not life threatening if your tank is heathy.

Scuba_Dave
07/24/2003, 09:38 AM
Yes the heat. Sleep in "hot" weather of 74-76, then turn on AC in the morning so tank will be OK. What's wrong with this picture?
She noticed electric bill went up - the tank lights?
"No dear, we had the AC on during the hot weather"
Wasn't the AC on to keep the tank cool?
Checkmate she wins! :)
We'll be gone all weekend, and the AC will be on low the whole time. Keeps tank at a Max of 82.5

karl wagner
07/24/2003, 09:39 AM
dave, it'll be exponentially worse once that big tank is up and running.

Syris
07/24/2003, 09:40 AM
Gumhead

Your probaly rigght because my slimer is fine this time and so is everything else. Whats the highest temp that effects your tank?

Correction- I just checked my website where I log this stuff, my tank hit 86F last year when the slimer bleached. So I just gotta make sure my AC stays on.

gumhead
07/24/2003, 09:51 AM
86 is the magic number IMO

My tank when to over 90 last year! I had central air put in right after that ;)
When my tank goes to 84 I turn on the air

Scuba_Dave
07/24/2003, 09:56 AM
Another reason to get the 125g setup & running before a bigger tank, the electric bill will go up slower. Instead of a big jump when I start up a larger tank. Of course since I'm planning on keeping the 125 as a sump/frag tank my theory is shot full of holes....:uzi:

Syris
07/24/2003, 10:18 AM
My tank when to over 90 last year!

Holy cow:fun5: Did you loose a lot of corals?
Central AC mmm:thumbsup:

gumhead
07/24/2003, 10:27 AM
Heres a quote from my web site...

August 23, 2002
The Heat wars are over!
This past summer has been the hottest here in New England in a long time. We have had three heat waves this summer with detrimental affects on my tank. On the first heat wave my tank went up over 90 degrees! My torch coral suffered some polyp recession and then infection. I was able to frag it and save one branch. Over the heat waves I was able to keep the temperature down by putting gallon jugs of frozen RO/DI water in the sump. Blowing fans directly on the sump also helped. Yet the tank still hovered around 85-87 degrees. Not good for corals! My beautiful hammer coral also showed signs of recession and no full polyp extension. It also got infected and dyed. More corals were showing signs of bleaching.

Then help arrived! A friend of mine on the west cost offered me a chiller! Wow what can I say he was literally a life saver. Now everything is doing better and I am nursing some of the corals back to health. My temp stays between 79-81 degrees now, which I feel is the optimal temperature.

I am having a bit of an algae bloom on my sand bed but this is to be expected... The death of the hammer was quick and polluted the tank and my nitrates went up. bacteria thrive in higher temps and this might also contribute to the algae bloom. I am doing small 5 gallon water changes and siphoning the algae out every two days. This seems to be working as I am seeing less new algae.