PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox Photography

Keith Sheridan
07/23/2003, 02:28 PM
Just found this kind of funny that this worked. I picked up a fisheye/macro lens for my Canon Rebel G (35mm) and realized that the macro portion is pretty much a big magnifying glass. I also have a relitively cheap, Canon Digital Elph (s200), which is a piece of crap when it comes to closeups. By hand-holding the macro lens directly in front of the Canon Elph I could focus down pretty close for some decent macro shots. I posted a few pics today on various threads, all of which were taken with this method. Here are some more...

Pink Star Polyps (skyedolphan)
http://images.yorkphoto.com/337%3B%3B%3B5523232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A52%3E2%3B9%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324%3B3268%3B%3A%3Cnu0mrj

Pink Spotted Mushrooms (jbundas)
http://images.yorkphoto.com/337%3B%3B%3B5523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B43%3D3%3A%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C2359945ot1lsi

Green Star Polyps (Greg Hiller)
http://images.yorkphoto.com/337%3B%3B%3B5523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B43%3D3%3A%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C23596%3A%3Bot1lsi

Red Mushrooms (Greg Hiller)
http://images.yorkphoto.com/337%3B%3B%3B5523232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A52%3E2%3B9%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324%3B3269364nu0mrj

here is a link to where you can pick up this lens, it is a pretty decent lens that attaches to the front of a normal SLR camera's lens, just as a filter would. Not a bad price considering the versatility of it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2942041686&category=4687

Scuba_Dave
07/23/2003, 02:35 PM
Skydolphans been holding out on us with those pink star polyps. Just the thing to earn brownie points w/wife.

Tobyt
07/23/2003, 02:44 PM
I remember back in highschool, we had some big magnifying lenses (6" - 8"). They could start fires in an instant. :)

I tried looking for them on the web, but didn't find any. Any of you science lab employees know where they can be had or how much they would cost?

This would do the same trick as what Keith discovered.

You'll need a jig to keep the lens and camera steady though.

gumhead
07/23/2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
Skydolphans been holding out on us with those pink star polyps.
Na ah she was givin them away by the truck loads a few months back.

Keith great shots! Yup any magnifying glass can work as a cheap macro lens!

Heavydc2
07/23/2003, 02:54 PM
yep I got a few of those pinkies from her too. Keith was supposed to get them but he did not make it to the meeting so I split mine in half when he was asking for them again. Mine just started to look like they might grow a little bit.

Reef-lite
07/23/2003, 03:00 PM
I've also taken non-reef photos through my polarized sunglasses. Pretty cool effect for outdoor shots. I think I'll try it tonight on my reef tank.

skyedolphan
07/23/2003, 05:13 PM
Ok as for the pink/purple stars the 10x8 rock is once again COVERED so Dave next meet I will have some for you any1 else?

yaktop
07/23/2003, 05:32 PM
me please.

Auberon
07/23/2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Tobyt
I remember back in highschool, we had some big magnifying lenses (6" - 8"). They could start fires in an instant. :)

I tried looking for them on the web, but didn't find any. Any of you science lab employees know where they can be had or how much they would cost?

This would do the same trick as what Keith discovered.

You'll need a jig to keep the lens and camera steady though.

I can get almost any strength magnifying lens you would want. The higher the strength the more costly it'll be. They work great for my low vision patients. The store bought ones are usually garbage in comparision.

...it could be I'm a little biased :).

Auberon
07/23/2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Reef-lite
I've also taken non-reef photos through my polarized sunglasses. Pretty cool effect for outdoor shots. I think I'll try it tonight on my reef tank.

I'm confused. You are going to try to take pictures of your tank through polarized glasses?

oh btw, GREAT shots Keith!!

Tobyt
07/23/2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Auberon
I can get almost any strength magnifying lens you would want. The higher the strength the more costly it'll be. They work great for my low vision patients. The store bought ones are usually garbage in comparision.

...it could be I'm a little biased :).

I might take you up on that offer, but I may need your help for a recommended strength and size.

The trick is to be able to focus on something that's 8" behind the glass wall on an aquarium. I'm guessing the lenses would have to be fairly large to be able to focus properly. I don't think high magnification is needed either. Probably 4x would be more than sufficient. What do you think?

What am I doing?? I should just get a better camera. (I have the Canon S200 as well).

Keith Sheridan
07/23/2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Tobyt
(I have the Canon S200 as well).

The results aren't that bad. Biggest problem is the focusing distance for what I did was like 2", I bet you won't get much further than that. Since the Mag. glass would have no moving parts it is a question of a specific distance. The S200 is decent to replace the little disposable cameras my mom gets for Birthdays and such, but for tank shots it is worthless.

Thanks for the comments on the pics.

David S
07/23/2003, 08:12 PM
sky if you have some left put me in for some at next meet thanks David

skyedolphan
07/24/2003, 08:27 AM
for those that want the pink stars no problem just please keep in mind as I have posted previously I DO have the red bugs in my main tank :(
and in the fuge I have those clear flatworms never seen any in the main tank( think I have too much circulation for them in here :) ) but just wanted to be clear on that note as for the fresh water dip I have done it on the stars in the past without any problem(trying to get a 10 inch bristle out )

Auberon
07/24/2003, 09:58 AM
:thumbsup: Skyedolphan :thumbsup:

The red bugs prefer blue/purple acroporas, not pink stars. They're somewhat chauvinists :rolleyes:

Toby,

Let me know if you'll get a better camera or go with the magnifying lens ;)

Keith,

What is the strength on the magnifier you used? My optics with cameras isn't the best. I'll have to sit down and think about it.

Keith Sheridan
07/24/2003, 11:14 AM

Keith,

What is the strength on the magnifier you used? My optics with cameras isn't the best. I'll have to sit down and think about it.

I am not really sure what the strength is. Are trying to figure out what strength would work well for the 8" deep focusing mentioned above?

yaktop
07/24/2003, 07:14 PM
sky, good of you to disclose your problems. do so again when you pass the bags - its good for your conscience as well.

as far as me, I'll pass since no red bugs in my tank and no flatworms now for quite awhile. aptasia in my fuge, is another story.

Tobyt
07/24/2003, 07:57 PM
:thumbsup: Skyedolphan :thumbsup:

Toby,

Let me know if you'll get a better camera or go with the magnifying lens ;)

Why, I'm going with a better camera, of course! :)

and eventually a good microscope too! (for which I will need a good camera, of course)...

skyedolphan
07/24/2003, 09:45 PM
yaktop
since I have goten the flatworms :( I always let people know usually I will Pm them or when I am talking to them to make arrangements There was one time a few days after I found my first one that I brought someone something and as soon as I realized that I didnt mention it I IM and let them know It was an honest mistake but i felt soo bad unfortunetly/fortunetly my consience does not allow me to decieve people even unitentionally I am too much of the piecemaker trying to always keep every1 happy
But dont ever p*ss me off I am nasty!!!:)

David S
07/24/2003, 10:26 PM
I think one of you camera guru"s have to run a photo lab because I can hardly take a small pic that looks ok :confused:

If someone decides to do one at a club meet I claim the front seat :D

Heavydc2
07/25/2003, 05:24 AM
a lot of it depends on the camera (if your using digital). I took pics with my dgiital that were ok, then used my GF's camera and they were much better.