PDA

View Full Version : zooanthid ?

dad300
07/23/2003, 07:24 AM
I just found a single piece (not sure what to call it) of what I believe is a brown zooanthid. short brown stem frilled rim .
Can't see the inside to see if it has a color variation.

Do I need to feed it anything?

I have very minimal light.

this is so cool

Heavydc2
07/23/2003, 08:13 AM
You can feed zoos, but their colors are not as brilliant as they would be if you let them feed by photosynthesis. If your light is not much I would try to position it higher up in the tank so that is it getting light. You dont need to feed zoos.

JustDavidP
07/23/2003, 12:07 PM
Can you get a picture of it?

It may not be a zoo at all. I had some freaky aiptasia that I got from a LFS not too long ago. It took a long time trying to ID it, and it reproduced ALL OVER THE PLACE. This aiptasia was bulbous at the tips of the tentacles and not pointed or whiplike as I was used to seeing. It did however sting many corals before the peppermint shrimp took care of them.

David

gumhead
07/23/2003, 03:04 PM
majano?

JustDavidP
07/24/2003, 08:40 AM
SÃ* Señor...

Majano is what I was refering to...

The Aiptasia anemone (Anemonia majano) can be either brown or green, and it has numerous tentacles with swollen tips.

Anemonia majano may be confused with a small E. quadricolor, however E. quadricolor does not have the pronounced bubbles on the tips of the tentacles. Anemonia majano is an anemone that does not host fish. Very Easy to maintain, but will multiply and destroy any stony corals in your tank!

http://www.reefsource.com/Species%20Database/Images/Picture_012.jpg

Mine were all brown and more pronounced in the bubble tips. They wiped out LOTS O' Green Star Polyps before I killed them.

<D>