PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Clowns

Marcus K
07/22/2003, 11:29 PM
After my tank cycled I was waiting for a healthy batch of Green Chromis to add to my tank. I find them to be great for a beginner. Only one LFS had them and none were heathy enough for me. They had very poor colour and fins all torn up with two dead ones left in tank.
The LFS that I buy fish from does not carry SW over the summer as he does not have enough demand and the weather is too hot. I live in a small city with not so great flights, thats what I have been told. So Im fine with that, I can wait another month for healthy fish.
A couple of days later he has a tank with two Clowns, Coral Beauty, Shrimp, and a wrasse. I watched the Clowns for almost two weeks and could not beleive they had not sold. I waited over the weekend and discussed it with my wife that we would purchase the two.
We got the two home, one a Flase Percula and the other was said to be a Maroon and later said to be a Cinn. I thought it was another False just with darker colour. Later we find him to be a True Percula. What sold us was they looked like a couple and they were traded in from a local who was setting up his tank with aggressive fish.
My question is, why are they acting wierd? They have stopped chasing each other and will now do a full body twitch or seizer when near each other. They are checking out most off the tank. Not just swimming at the top as usual. The smaller one (True Perc) will do a barrel role just off the top of my Lava rocks. They seem to be of great health. Do you think they might be getting ready to Mate? If so what should I do. They are in the tank alone. Thanks for any advise. Marcus

JHardman
07/23/2003, 12:20 AM
Start by reading the post "pairing clownfish" at the top of this forum. It will give you lots of information on your fish and their current behavior.

It sounds like you have a hybrid pairing. Pretty rare a cinnamon and an Ocellaris! I would love to see some pictures of the two, especially the submissive gesture. That would be very cool. :D We could likely get you a positive ID on the species of the fish too if you are still unsure.

Typical pre-spawning behavior is for both fish to clean a hard substrate for a nest. This is done by both fish biting the rock, glass, etc. They will also tend to rub the area. There will be lots of quivering, rubbing and biting. Cleaning can go on for quite some time before a spawn (and may not even end a spawn) or it can be a wham bam thank you ma’am event over in a couple of hours with a clutch of eggs.

If you do ever get a nest and want to raise the fry, I would suggest that you get Joyce Wilkerson’s book "Clownfishes". It is pretty close to a step by step "how to" on raising clownfish. It would be interesting to see fry from that pairing.

Marcus K
07/23/2003, 05:27 AM
Thanks JHardman, I have been trying to get a better pic but my Digital does not take great indoor photos. I have ordered the book soon to arrive. The pics that I posted when I first got the two we that the smaller was a True Percula. The eyes are slightly placed lower and further back with darker colour leading to Black fins with not clear edgeing on the fins just a solid black.

Marcus K
07/23/2003, 05:28 AM
I forgot to mention that they have been cleaning the back glass, a very small amount. Could be hungry. Talk to you later. Marcus

joetbs
07/23/2003, 07:12 AM
That looks more like a Maroon than a Cinnamon, which looks like a dark Tomato Clown - only one stripe in adults. Also, Cinnamons have a round body, not the long body of a maroon/perc.

hth
Joe

Marco
07/23/2003, 08:08 AM
Can you get a closer pic of the Perc? The other is definately a Maroon. I can't tell about the Perc from the pic. Some of the experts here will have to tell you if you can pair up a Premnas & Amphriprion . This is something I have never seen. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

JHardman
07/23/2003, 12:57 PM
WOW! The one in front is definitely a P. Biaculeatus aka maroon clownfish the one in back is either A. Ocellaris or A. Percula. With a good close picture we could make a positive ID. A good close shot showing the side of the fish, preferably with the dorsal fin extended.

That is a VERY unique pairing!!!!

The nest cleaning generally starts with light activity; generally the smaller male will get the idea before the female. A lot of the time the female will like another site and start cleaning it and chase/drag the male to the site and make him clean it too. With a totally unique pairing like you have it may not conform to the normal rules in every way, but the basics will stay the same.

Marcus K
07/23/2003, 09:02 PM
Sorry the Pics are not clear. The darker smaller Clown was thought to be a Maroon but he does not have the Gill Spine. The colour on the fins goes right to the edge, unlike the False. His head is more to a point and the eyes are lower down and set back further than the False. Very interesting though it would be nice to find out what he really is.
I will have a friend come over with his Dig soon. The crazy motions are more prominent later at night close to be time. Great to watch, it almost looks like they are putting on a show for us. They seem to know when we are watching!
I will try and get a short video of them. Thanks Marcus.

oama
07/23/2003, 09:09 PM
The maroonxocellaris pairing has been done in at least one instance that I know of. And the spawn was viable.

oama
07/23/2003, 09:16 PM
Sorry that didn't come across like I would have liked.

I mean that I have seen the offspring of a maroon/ocellaris pair. But only once! And Congrads if you get them spawning! Good Luck!

JHardman
07/23/2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Marcus K
Sorry the Pics are not clear. The darker smaller Clown was thought to be a Maroon but he does not have the Gill Spine. The colour on the fins goes right to the edge, unlike the False. His head is more to a point and the eyes are lower down and set back further than the False. Very interesting though it would be nice to find out what he really is.
I will have a friend come over with his Dig soon. The crazy motions are more prominent later at night close to be time. Great to watch, it almost looks like they are putting on a show for us. They seem to know when we are watching!
I will try and get a short video of them. Thanks Marcus.

It is not unheard of to have a maroon without a cheek spine. I would still say that it is a maroon. The body and fin shape is a dead give away.

Please do get some better pictures. This is quite interesting. :D

oama
07/23/2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by JHardman
It is not unheard of to have a maroon without a cheek spine. I would still say that it is a maroon. The body and fin shape is a dead give away.

Most definately a maroon. Heck, I think I remember that one!

Marcus K
07/23/2003, 11:32 PM
Thats interesting to know, thanks I will get some better pics real soon. Im not sure if I would be ready to have them spawn? Just got my Clown FIshes book so I will start reading. I hope they dont change the rules on me :) being an odd couple. I think I am lucky with these two. Wether they breed or not they are a blast to watch.

JHardman
07/23/2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Marcus K
Thats interesting to know, thanks I will get some better pics real soon. Im not sure if I would be ready to have them spawn? Just got my Clown FIshes book so I will start reading. I hope they dont change the rules on me :) being an odd couple. I think I am lucky with these two. Wether they breed or not they are a blast to watch.

Don't worry if they spawn, you don't have to raise the fry. In fact it is a good idea to let at least one nest hatch in the tank, that way you know how many days it takes for the eggs to hatch in your tank. Also the first couple of nests are going to be rough (low number of fertile eggs, lots of eggs eaten, etc) as it takes time for the pair to learn the "dance".

It's also going to take you time to get a good phytoplankton and rotifer culture setup going strong. Check out the sticky post at the top of the fish breeding forum here on RC.