PDA

View Full Version : trading or buying - always ask.

yaktop
07/22/2003, 08:40 PM
trading or buying - ask the questions?

do you have flatworms, red mites, anything I need to know etc. - if they seem hesitate back out - simple.

some people may not tell you up front but when asked many will disclose the fact that they do. even at the LFS, you may want to wait. most people are honest; lets fish out the bad ones.

always freshwater or lugo solution or similar. save your tank.

Scuba_Dave
07/23/2003, 09:39 AM
Hi my names Dave & I have bought (picked up) from someone who had flatworms. They were upfront about it (one look at tank & it was obvious). I did a freshwater dip and appear to be FW free. It's been over 2 weeks & I've been keeping a careful eye.

Armando
07/23/2003, 10:30 AM
Not necessarily the person will know if his/her tank has flatworms or other bugs. Flatworms like low flow area, behind or under rocks for example. And that's where they hang out before you can really see them. I traded frags one month before I spotted a flatworm in my tank, it is possible that the frag went with a flatworm attached who knows?

In my opinion there is very little value in asking this question. I would fresh dip/medicate/quarentine the animal anyway.

KAS
07/23/2003, 11:23 AM
Can you freshwater dip ALL corals briefly (1-2 mins) to protect against flatworms? I have always been hesitant to do this for fear that some corals can't withstand the FW dip.

I was going to get a bottle of Salifert's Flatworm Exit and use that as a precaution but the FW dip is easier if it doesn't harm the coral.

Thanks for any reassurance/info you can provide.
-Karen

sherryq
07/23/2003, 11:30 AM
Excellent question Karen. I have the same one.

Also does Seachems coral dip kill flatworms?

Scuba_Dave
07/23/2003, 11:48 AM
I would like to the know the same thing about FW dips.

Auberon
07/23/2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sherryq
Excellent question Karen. I have the same one.

Also does Seachems coral dip kill flatworms?

Sherry, I think the answer is no. Greenex and FW Exit apparently are the preference.

Fresh water dips do irritate the heck out of your corals so be cautious.

Asking the question to someone is is ignorant of the problem is of little value. I think someone that is ethical will reveal the problem upfront. Someone less ethical, and again the question is of little value. But does it hurt to ask? NOPE....

bdr127
07/23/2003, 01:20 PM
What about a SW w/ Lugols dip? Does that help at all?

Armando
07/23/2003, 01:34 PM
Auberon, sure it doesn't hurt to ask but then again if I don't know the person well or if the person does not check the tank carefully every day or if the flatworms are not visible on the person's tank... Bottom line: The only safe thing to do is dip/medicate/quarantine (hey I got the spelling right this time woo-hoo!)

Ken2001
07/23/2003, 01:52 PM
As far as the effectiveness of FW dips to rid your corals of hitchhikers, I believe Borneman, in the Coral forum, once said that FW dips are likely to have a greater chance of injuring the coral then the hitchhiker -- his thinking was that the cell wall layer on corals is thinner then it is on various 'pods and such (he was speaking specificially about "red bugs"). However, FW dips do make some critters let go of the corals as they try to find a way to get out of the FW. So maybe the dip would be effective in getting the critters (flatworms, bugs, whatever) to release as you swish the coral in the water.

Obviously, FW's ability to harm coral varies from coral to coral. For instance, some acros and other corals may be exposed to air or rain during extremely low tides (great pictures of this in Sven & Fossa). Other corals seem to do well in areas in which the salinity may change, such as near estuaries and river mouths. And then, there are the corals that come from deeper water that are never exposed to FW in the wild. They might not react to well, especially if they are already stressed (say, from being yanked off the reef, shipped a few thousand miles, dunked into a wholesaler/importer's holding tank, and then shipped a few hundred or more miles to and LFS, and then taken to your home!).

Personally, I'd never FW dip a coral, but that's my own choice. Lots of people seem to like the lugols dip and Seachem dips, so maybe those are better choices.

Ken

yaktop
07/23/2003, 05:28 PM
I have faith in people. always ask, many will be upfront. many wont bother saying unless asked. many mayu not know anyway. you may shake people loose and help the next person.

always use protection unless you prove it not only looks good but is good. :rolleyes:

Auberon
07/23/2003, 07:45 PM
What about a SW w/ Lugols dip? Does that help at all?

Lugol and Seachem Iodine dips are very very similar. To the best of my knowledge they dont' have effects on flatworms. You are better off with the other products mentioned. (However, Seachem dip is supposedly better for red mites)

Bottom line: The only safe thing to do is dip/medicate/quarantine

I agree 100%. Guess what my next next (double entry intended) project will be!

Personally, I'd never FW dip a coral, but that's my own choice

Mine too.

I have faith in people
You're a good man Yaktop. I'll try and attend the cookout, for the sole selfish reason of getting to sit and chat with you. Skye mentioned your concerns :).

yaktop
07/23/2003, 09:01 PM
Auberon, shhh you'll ruin my rep. :rolleyes: I hate seeing good guys back off from bad guys. Dont let the bastards take your joys wherever you find them. help us fish them out.

yaktop
07/24/2003, 08:51 PM
here's a good quote for those quiet good guys out there -

"the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ edmund burke ~