PDA

View Full Version : i realized recently

ofblong
07/22/2003, 07:52 PM
That before I got into expensive fw fish i thought $20 for a saltwater fish was a heck of a lot of $$$ to spend on a fish. Then I got into freshwater stingrays and $20 became chump change. I was keeping fw stingrays for a year and decided to start a sw tank. Now I have had a sw tank for 6 months and my freshwater stingrays for a year and a half. What is odd is I have spent more on my freshwater stingrays than I have my saltwater tank. I dont think there are too many people that can say they spend more on a fw tank than a sw tank.:rolleye1:

Anyone else start out thinking $20 for a sw fish was way expensive and now think that it is not a whole lot of $$? I know i do.

MattG
07/22/2003, 08:08 PM
i see 20$ for a sw fish as nothing. i remember when i bought my first expensive freshwater fish. some kind of cichlid for 12.99$. i felt like a high roller buying that expensive of a fish :p

ive gotten use to the high price of fish. its the coral and live rock that still gets me.

ofblong
07/22/2003, 08:29 PM
well my fw stingray cost me $50 for my teacup. I just bought a leopoldi and that was $300. I have not paid that much for 70lbs of lr or for any type of coral fortunately. I am not ready to spend that much on corals because I like to make sure I will be able to keep them alive. thats why I went with a $50 stingray before going with a $300 stingray. :D But like you said $20 for a fish is nothing =].

SurferDude771
07/22/2003, 09:23 PM
yea, my first additions to my reef were 11.99 firefish which are thriving, so i think i can up the anty a little bit

aquaman67
07/23/2003, 09:49 AM
There is a post on here about a rare SW angel that is $10,000.00 retail.

There are several fish at liveaquaria.com that are close to $1000.00.

ofblong
07/23/2003, 09:52 AM
wow i did not know that. that is alot of $$$. most expensive fw fish i have seen so far was an $1800 japanese stingray

aquaman67
07/23/2003, 10:03 AM
I found the post, it's a peppermint angel.

Take a look, there is a picture futher down.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193138&highlight=expensive+and+fish

Entropy
07/23/2003, 10:05 AM
I still think $20 is a lot for a fish. I paid $20 for my yellow tang and was not happy about it. I don't think spending a boat load of money on a fish makes it any better than the others in the tank, it just makes them more expensive and then I have to worry that much more. My plan for my tank when it will be fully stocked is 2 O clowns ($8 each), 1 yellow tang ($20), 2 yellow watchman gobies ($14 each), 1 royal gramma ($13), and a bunch of green chromis ($2 each). As you can see I am not a big believer in fish over $20 :D

About the most expensive single item I have is my tank. My skimmer is bullet proof (no moving parts), both pumps are under $70, my lighting is about $300 but comprises of three seperate VHO setups so only about $100 each, and my heaters were $50 for both. Bottom line is I don't have a huge wallet so I have to keep it cheap :D and cheap to fix.

ofblong
07/23/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Entropy
I still think $20 is a lot for a fish. I paid $20 for my yellow tang and was not happy about it. I don't think spending a boat load of money on a fish makes it any better than the others in the tank, it just makes them more expensive and then I have to worry that much more. My plan for my tank when it will be fully stocked is 2 O clowns ($8 each), 1 yellow tang ($20), 2 yellow watchman gobies ($14 each), 1 royal gramma ($13), and a bunch of green chromis ($2 each). As you can see I am not a big believer in fish over $20 :D

where you get o clowns for $8? mine were $17

hwynboy
07/23/2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ofblong
That before I got into expensive fw fish i thought $20 for a saltwater fish was a heck of a lot of $$$ to spend on a fish. Then I got into freshwater stingrays and $20 became chump change. I was keeping fw stingrays for a year and decided to start a sw tank. Now I have had a sw tank for 6 months and my freshwater stingrays for a year and a half. What is odd is I have spent more on my freshwater stingrays than I have my saltwater tank. I dont think there are too many people that can say they spend more on a fw tank than a sw tank.:rolleye1:

Anyone else start out thinking $20 for a sw fish was way expensive and now think that it is not a whole lot of $$? I know i do.

I read this and just had to laugh...I wish I would have stayed with FW lmao...I have been doing research on this tank for a couple months and nowI am setting it up over the last 3 weeks and I have no idea how you can say you spend less on SW than FW. So far I have spent over $4400 and I don't have a drop of water in my tank yet nor any livestock fish or anything. Am I doing something wrong? :D

I think BY FAR SW is way more expensive than my cichlids and piranhas and red devils. heh.

Entropy
07/23/2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ofblong
where you get o clowns for $8? mine were $17

Petco :D $8.49 each. Nemo sale :D

MattG
07/23/2003, 10:54 AM
in the remote area i live in a stupid TR clown is 24.99$

i hate where i live

MattG
07/23/2003, 10:55 AM
man come to think of it i dont think ive ever seen a saltwater fish at a local store here below 20$ except damsels. they are $6.99
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

ChasingPuck
07/23/2003, 10:59 AM
I spend about the same on SW as on FW. About 150 FW planted tanks, versus 200 gallons of SW tanks. Pretty well averages out.

Of course, I've also paid way more than $20 for a single plant... :rollface:

ofblong
07/23/2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hwynboy
I read this and just had to laugh...I wish I would have stayed with FW lmao...I have been doing research on this tank for a couple months and nowI am setting it up over the last 3 weeks and I have no idea how you can say you spend less on SW than FW. So far I have spent over $4400 and I don't have a drop of water in my tank yet nor any livestock fish or anything. Am I doing something wrong? :D

I think BY FAR SW is way more expensive than my cichlids and piranhas and red devils. heh.

its called food. it cost me about $50/week to feed my stingrays. =] and thats cause i limit what they eat. these stingrays would eat 300 or so ghost shrimp in one day if I let them.