PDA

View Full Version : Pic of flatworm?

one eye
07/21/2003, 02:43 PM
has anyone got a pic of the dreaded flatworm?

reefrenots
07/21/2003, 02:47 PM
i can get a pic of the clear flatworm if that will help you any

Scuba_Dave
07/21/2003, 02:50 PM
No pic but I know freshwater kills em real quik.

I freshwater dipped maybe 15 seconds - & kept shaking. I haven't seen any of the red confetti in either tank. Some of the shrooms changed color - may not have liked the freshwater. But I didn't have any die.

Make sure you have salwater right next to fresh to rinse w/salt/immerse & shake in saltwater to get rid of freshwater.

one eye
07/21/2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks but no. I have some redish brown patches they don't move and my scooter blennie is not interested so I don't think they're red flat worms but I wanted to make sure.
I'm going to take a pic and post it in a minute.

Armando
07/21/2003, 03:07 PM
Dave how long should a freshwater dip be to kill them?

KAS
07/21/2003, 03:09 PM
Oneeye,
Could it be a cyano bloom?
-Karen

one eye
07/21/2003, 03:28 PM
Kas, no it's not cyano...I know to well what that looks like.
I took some pics but I don't think they'll be much help. I can't get the super close ups with this camera.

one eye
07/21/2003, 03:34 PM
here's a pic anyway.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/26698Image004__Small___Custom_.jpg

Scuba_Dave
07/21/2003, 03:52 PM
Not sure, do they move at all?

one eye
07/21/2003, 03:56 PM
no dave they stay put but they are multiplying. Even some on the glass. None on my corals or clam. I've heard flat worms "attack" clams but I don't know how true that is?

Keith Sheridan
07/21/2003, 04:22 PM
Looks like some form of algae to me. Possibly a calcerous type.

Armando
07/21/2003, 04:28 PM
The pic is actually good but I suggest removing some of that stuf and looking with a magnifying glass. It does look like flatworm but looking closer it looks more like algae.

karl wagner
07/21/2003, 04:30 PM
darren, from the pics, it looks like flatworms to me.

if the fw dip doesn't work, greenex does, or flatworm exit.

there are some good predators around too.

Auberon
07/21/2003, 05:15 PM
tough call but I'll add my 2cents and guess FW. If you can siphon them to test....that'll be your answer. If it's algae siphon won't work to remove. I think algae tends to grow different pattern, not spread out like that...who knows. Try siphon, maybe turkey baster.

one eye
07/21/2003, 06:27 PM
they do come off with either sucking them up with a baster or blowing them off.

Scuba_Dave
07/21/2003, 06:28 PM
I'm thinking flatworms, pull some out & see.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pestflatwrmanthony.htm

part way down on page
http://www.seaslugforum.net/flatworm2.htm

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/RedFlatworms.jpg

kill em, kill em now

one eye
07/21/2003, 06:39 PM
I thought scooter blennies ate them? There all over the main rock work so fresh water dip is out.
Breaks my heart to have to get a six line:D

AcroSteve
07/21/2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by one eye
here's a pic anyway.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/26698Image004__Small___Custom_.jpg

Looks like what I've got. I see some of mine moove sometimes.

They do seem to collect where I have some algae in my overflow box.

Please let it be algae.

one eye
07/21/2003, 07:27 PM
Sorry stranglhold, they are flatworms. I poked at them with the end of the baster and the little *&^&*%$$# squirmed away.
I've got my lfs looking for a good flat worm eater, maybe a six line or a lime wrasse. I'll try natural before I go the greenex route.
Good luck with yours, let me know what you do.

yaktop
07/21/2003, 07:31 PM
looks like FW to me also. do they have a red spot and shaped like a wisdom tooth sort of. they like higher temps, you'll slow them down if you lower the temp and siphon alot, feed sparingly.I had and read a ton of information and this is the best way but you have to wait and have patience. they go as fast as they come. they need to burn themselves out. months not weeks.

I heard great things about flatworm exit - do a search on RC.

I did the above and waited and waited, they slowed and slowed. havent seen one of the buggers for almost two months now and I had a carpet of them in my 125 at the high point.

dont trade with anyone and I'm about to start up again, I will disclose same just in case.

good luck,

Auberon
07/21/2003, 07:36 PM
Darren,

If they don't have a red tinge to them, don't worry. I believe they're harmless and part of the ecosystem. I've read and it's my belief that all/most tanks have them. I had them and they do tend to slowly burn out with time. I'm flatworm free these days.

one eye
07/21/2003, 07:40 PM
Yup, I'm out of the trade circuit for a while.

yaktop
07/21/2003, 07:42 PM
good point Auberon, many different types. these look like the translucent red types you talking about. same ones I had, knock on wood, but no longer.

You going to the cookout down the cape? skydolphen might be car pooling with a 8 passenger van. could be fun.

AcroSteve
07/21/2003, 07:42 PM
I just ordered some Flatworm Exit. But I will wait untill I have a good way of running some carbon.

Right now I would just have to toss it in the sump.

I am looking at the Ocean Clear Filters. Looking around for a used one before I drop $150 on a new one.

Scott Merrill
07/21/2003, 09:47 PM
i had them for a year....not anymore :D.
those are indeed flat worms. the only things i found to eat them were a six line wrasse. he ate them but not nearly enough to wipe them out. a velvet nuddibranc. they are all black with a blue stripe. they work but have an expensive habbit of getting sucked into Powerheads and overflows. as far as i have read they only eat flatwormsd so when your clean they're done.... last but not least i have "heard" that a green coris wrasse will eat them .aquaadictts has been trying to order them for weeks. mistakenly got the lime wrasse instead of the corris wrasse. BIG difference. if you decide to do chemical like green ex or flatworm exit (i just green-x'd the tank) take out as much as you can especially clams (heard they don't do too well.)
good Luck!

Roy Roy Massiah
07/21/2003, 10:14 PM
the yellow tail damsel all so eat flat worm
there eat the yellow flatworm