PDA

View Full Version : Need food for peppermint shrimp?

mrudman
07/19/2003, 09:09 PM
I bought most of my "cleaner crew" today, so that they could get to work on my algae....

Bought 3 Astrea snails, 1 Turbo snail, 2 bumblebee snails, 2 scarlet hermits, 2 blue-legged hermits, 1 Emerald crab, 2 Peppermint shrimp, and 1 Serpent star...

How does this sound as a starter for a 46-gallon?
I'm going to wait couple weeks and see how the algae's doing, and then decide if I should buy more at that time.

They all seem to be very lively and eating well... but i haven't really noticed the peppermint shrimp eating... they seem happy enough flying around the rocks, etc.... but should I worry about them starving? I don't have any aiptasia yet that I know of, and I know they're good for eating that, but do they like other algae, etc. also?

Thanks!
Michelle

aquaman67
07/19/2003, 09:15 PM
Do you have any fish yet? The peppermints will find some left over fish food. Maybe throw in a shrimp pellet. Wal-mart even sells those.

SaltyDogg
07/19/2003, 09:16 PM
I feed my peppermint shrimp frozen mysis shrimp and frozen Krill and they love it.............:)

Pod
07/19/2003, 09:16 PM
I had done the same thing.
My star died and caused an ammonia spike higher than anything I had when cycling. I understand stars need good water quality.
As for my pepermint shrimps, they eat anything and everything.

mrudman
07/19/2003, 09:18 PM
No fish in the tank yet... gonna wait at least couple months before I add any...

So they like those shrimp pellets? Will have to buy those.... think just toss in maybe 1/day?

mrudman
07/19/2003, 09:19 PM
Pod,

Yikes, that doesn't sound too cool about your star...

Hope my water quality is good enough that I don't kill him, :(

Pod
07/19/2003, 09:26 PM
I was not fun. I have a 180 so I got a large cleanup crew. It had a red serpent and 2 brittle stars. They all died within 5 days but all the crabs, shrimp and snails made it. I hope you have better luck.

aquaman67
07/19/2003, 09:32 PM
Hey Michelle,

Try this after you get your shrimp pellets.

Hold one in your hand close to your shrimp. They should take it out of your hand. You can even put it between your fingers and make them dig for it!

Just make sure there is nothing on your hands. Don't wash them with soap first. Just rinse them. No lotions or just filled the car with gas either!

It's kinda freaky at first but fun! They pinch a little. But not like a shot!

(I hate needles!)

Clownish
07/19/2003, 10:38 PM
yea i had an ingrown nail (runs in the family) and the shrimps dug it out.....it was nasty but it hasn't been ingrown since..... ahh yes nasty stories