PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

dad300
07/18/2003, 11:03 AM
Ok heres the deal.. Just bought and installed a maxijet mp 600 powerhead. Do I use the Venturi device or do i not. Also is there any way to slow the volume of flow down? I also have on this tank a whisper 30 HOB. Do I have to much flow for a 20L.

On a side note I also purchased some live rock and some base rock from the same place. Thought I was getting away cheap. after I got home I loked at my reciept. Live rock 6.99 it was supposed to be 6.99 lb. I bought about seven lbs
Base rock 3.99 it was supposed to be 3.99 lb. I bought 4 lbs.
So I got aabout 11 -12 lbs of live and base rock for $11.00. I'm semi-torn. Do I call or not. It's sitting in my tank. I'm not yanking it out and driving a half hour back so..
aay hoo it begins... My tank is going to start cycling. I can't wait to see If there were any hitchikers( I doubt it)

Scuba_Dave
07/18/2003, 11:25 AM
Quik Batman to the LFS!!! I need 100lbs.
I find it hard not to correct a mistake when I am at a store, but have found problems & not bothered to correct before (going back). IE a $110 frying pan they rang up at about $19.99.
May depend upon who you bought it from to....

dad300
07/18/2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I know it was weird. I had the kids with me and the store was absolutely packed. probably 15 people in line. It didn't click until I was in the car and on the way home.
It was one of the box stores. A regional one, not a national one. If it had been a local guy I probably would go a back and say something but.. I'll take it this time and pay more attention the next time.

Scuba_Dave
07/18/2003, 11:43 AM
I'm sure they will make $$ on you in the long run...

I have a sump so my water has plenty of Oxygen from the trip thru, plus a skimmer that puts plenty into the water (hang on tank at present).

If you don't have anything putting oxygen in it may be a good idea.

JustDavidP
07/18/2003, 11:44 AM
I personally don't like running venturi on PH's. The bubbles are annoying. They are hard to look through and irritate the polyps on my corals. I also hear that they can get trapped in clams and cause problems. Finally, they build up under the LR until they make MACRO bubbles that escape throught the crevices of the rock. They knock over small frags and such. Overall, you should get good oxygenation and gas exchange in other ways. The bubbles aren't really needed.

PS. In my 20G, I have a Maxijet 1200 and another PH that is about a 600 I think. IMHO, Unless you are swirling the corals and LS into a muddy mess, you can't have enough water movement in a reef.

<D>

dad300
07/18/2003, 11:47 AM
JDP,
You have a 20 gal thats what I'm setting up. Can you offer me any suggestions and hints. Also what kind of lighting do you have?

Syris
07/18/2003, 11:47 AM
If I reading this right that venturi device draws air into the pump and I would not use it. You don't want tons of little micro bulbes all over the tank. I always plug the little venturi holes with the suplied caps on my MJ1200.

As for the live rock, well thats a conscience thing. If I were in the store when I noticed I would say something, but now that your home and rock is in tank I'd probally let it go too.

JustDavidP
07/18/2003, 12:29 PM
I have had a 20 gallon set up since late last year. I've got a 10 in my office as well. Both are softie tanks, though I do have a clam and some Monti in my 20.

I have a deep(ish) sand bed. I started at 6 inches in the back tapered to 4 in the front. I am guessing that I've had some breakdown in the sand as it is now about 5 inches rear and 4 in the front.

I have 22 lbs of mixed fiji and tonga rock in it.

I run a CPR BakPak 2R (after many different and bad choices in skimming). I do water changes (10%) every two weeks with Instant Ocean and RO/DI water.

I have a Jalli 2X55 W PC light over the 20. One bulb is white the other bulb is actinic. This is pretty good light for softies and coralimorphs. I took the light off of the stand and have it resting on acrylic rods on top of eggcrate. This allows the light to be closer to the water. I do have to clean the salt spray weekly though.

The eggcrate helps allow for evaporation but keeps the jumpers in. It also allows me to top off (with RO/DI) without having to remove a hood/cover.

I use seachem reef builder and reef carbonate alternating doses to keep up the calc and alk. I don't use any other additives.

I do feed marine snow from time to time. I feed my fish Formula one and Frozen Mysis Shrimp. The polyps and other corals also take in some of this food.

All of my corals are thriving and not just surviving. To the point where I'm overgrown. I have a website with more information including the corals and other inhabitants if you'd like to poke around:

http://www.geocities.com/david_perry_1967/Reef.html

The page will be updated soon. The 20 gallon nano will become "top off" product for the 75 that I'm starting this weekend!!

Good luck!

David

bdr127
07/18/2003, 01:27 PM
Don't bother with the venturi.... As long as you have a little bit of surface turbulence, the micro-bubbles it produces are just not worth it. :)

dad300
07/18/2003, 01:28 PM
JDP nice tank. thanks for the info on the lighting . its aprreciated very much. Going to the 75 sounds really nice. MY wife already wants me to turn the 29 gal into a reef, and this one isn't even close to looking good.

jimmyj7090
07/18/2003, 02:07 PM
Like everybody else said, don't bother with the venturi. the surface movement created by the PH will do more to oxygenate the tank than the bubbles, and the bubbles are pretty annoying.

the maxi-jet should come with a small round clear plastic plug to cover the venturi hole in the flow director.

JustDavidP
07/18/2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by dad300
JDP nice tank. thanks for the info on the lighting . its aprreciated very much. Going to the 75 sounds really nice. MY wife already wants me to turn the 29 gal into a reef, and this one isn't even close to looking good.

Thanks for the compliments! I enjoyed the experience of the 20 gallon, but want more :rollface: I'm a big kid!

Don't worry about "close to looking good". Take your time. Every little step is an adventure...good or bad. 20 ... to 29... uhoh! I see a 55 or more in the future ;)

Have a great weekend

<D>

BrandonK
07/18/2003, 08:23 PM
Just started posting pics of my 20 gallon long. Still have many more pictures to add....

Pics from the 20 Long (http://home.comcast.net/~brandonklein/20gallonmainpage.html)

I've been slowly upgrading to a 50 over the last few weeks. Can't wait till that's done.