PDA

View Full Version : scutus snail

headtrip
07/17/2003, 08:59 PM
I have just found out that I have a scutus snail that hitchhiked into my tank on some piece of LR. He is about 2" long and very interesting to watch. I have read a few older posts and it seems most people think they are safe and a few others seem to think they might occasionally eat coral tissue. Has anyone ever seen one of these guys eat any type of coral? I want to keep this guy.....so I was wondering if I should leave him in the tank or put him in my refugium. If I should move him.....how do I pick it up to move it to the other tank.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Jason

TippyToeX
07/17/2003, 09:10 PM
I just read in my RI book that a Scutus is not that trust worthy. They are like most limpets and can graze on live coral and other invertebrates. :( Knowing that I would not trust them.

headtrip
07/17/2003, 09:26 PM
I wonder if it would hurt anything in my refugium.....it has all kinds of little critters like amphipods, and some macro algea. Can I just grab this guy or should I use tweazers or tongs or something?

Thanks,
Jason

TippyToeX
07/17/2003, 09:32 PM
If it is know to graze on some invertebrates I would not put him in your refugium. I would keep your citters free of a possible predartors.
Just go ahead and grab the little guy anyway that makes you happy and does not cause any harm to him. :) Maybe your LFS will take him for some credit?

kmk2307
07/17/2003, 10:07 PM
It's known to graze on cnidarian tissue and sponges, not eat motile invertebrates. I would throw it in the 'fuge.

Kevin