PDA

View Full Version : FRUSTRATION. Seeking advice/expertise in lighting.

...Stoked!
07/17/2003, 08:29 PM
Hello.
I have a 55gal, which has 440w VHO powered by an IceCap 660.
Ive had ballast problems in recent times and had to send the ballast back TWO TIMES. I got it back for the second time today (about 30 mins ago) and so far so goood. But my lights seem to be running at HALF of what they normally would be. Before they would illuminate the whole room, now they are for sure much dimmer. Could my ballast troubles have caused the bulbs to age pre-maturely?? Im guessing that is the issue..... But if anyone has anything they can add, info or otherwise, please feel free.

~Lighting Woes 5000

...Stoked!
07/18/2003, 11:26 AM
BUMP
^^^

Reef NuTTZ
07/18/2003, 03:21 PM
Hi stoked,

what i would do is replace 1 bulb to see if there is a difference in lighting. If there is no difference, then you would have to think if your ballast was running correctly in the first place or over powering your lights?. Just wondering, is the ballast pluged into an extesion cord or power strip?

Huy

...Stoked!
07/18/2003, 03:49 PM
Yes sir , power strip.

moonpod
07/18/2003, 03:59 PM
Weird. All I would say is double check your bulbs and all connections. I have several IC660s and truth be told everytime I have had a problem it was my fault--generally something wired wrong, loose, or a bad bulb....IC is generally speaking a very standup company, and I have sent ballasts back several times for various reasons and they have always provided great service...

...Stoked!
07/18/2003, 04:04 PM
Yes, i agree. IC has great customer service. But, this happened out of the blue.... the system had been running flawlesly and then oneday it just didnt work. Could a problem in wiring just develop like that?? Im gonna try the new bulb thing and see what happens. Thanks

moonpod
07/18/2003, 04:05 PM
You wouldn't think so, but I'd double check to make sure something hasn't come loose....

...Stoked!
07/18/2003, 04:50 PM
I Will. :)
Thanks for your help.

Reef NuTTZ
07/18/2003, 09:30 PM
I too agree with moonpod.

Connections do get lose at times. Reason why i asked about the extension cord or power strip is that when you add too man components to a strip or an outlet, it can reduce the amount of power flow to each component.
just try the procese of elimnation!
hope this helped some
:D

...Stoked!
07/18/2003, 11:12 PM
indeed :)
I appreciate you guys' trying to help me. Im off to examing connections!