PDA

View Full Version : Coral Bleaching in LTA???

jsweeney76
07/17/2003, 09:44 AM
About three months ago, I added a cinnamon clown and a long tentacle anemone to my newly established 75 gallon tank. They got along famously. The anemone opened up and began growing like a weed. Initially, I only had 4 PC (55w) lighting the aquarium. Since then I have added an Ice Cap 660 ballast with two T-5 and two T-12 bulbs. A grand total of 550 Watts. Now my concern/question is as follows. About 3-4 days after the lighting upgrades, I noticed the anemone climbed underneath and into a rock. I would have left it alone, but the clownfish was flipping out and in danger of hurting itself on the glass so I flipped the rock over so the fish could access it's home. I have also noticed that the color of the tentacles is changing from peach/melon color to a grayish clear color. I've done some investigating and have found coral bleaching in hard corals, but nothing on bleaching soft corals. Does this sound like bleaching in soft corals?? What can I do to stop the process?? Will it recover??

PS: Initaitlly I thought it could be a water quality issue, but I tested and found the following.

pH: 8.4
Temp: 80.2
ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
Phophate: .0.0
Alkalinity: Within normal limits
Calcium: 450 ppm

MarinaP
07/17/2003, 11:03 AM
You probably shocked the anemone with light. I would acclimate the tank to new lights over two weeks, gradually increasing the duration of the period when new lights are on. Let the anemone hide, she is happier in a cave now. It should recover .