PDA

View Full Version : Etropicals for Live Rock?

dad300
07/16/2003, 03:25 PM
Has anyone ever used Etropicals for Live Rock. their prices are good... Maybe too good. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Merrill
07/16/2003, 04:03 PM
Never bought from e-tropicals but figure another 1.50 per pound for shipping. I would much rather pick out the shapes and sizes i want from a LFS and know that its comming from an established water source rather than deal with the shipping hassle. i am sure if you rounded up enough people you could get a LFS to do alot better on $$ per pound.
Just my .02

dad300
07/16/2003, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but they have it at 1.95 a pound. I can't find any place near me that is less than 6.99 a pound. even with shipping which they have cheap. i'll get it cheaper. Just wondering if its worth the risk.

hydra_25
07/16/2003, 06:53 PM
Please note that the stuff you are talking about is for uncured rock, which means that you will need to cure it. Which if you are starting a new aquarium is not a problem as long as you can wait before adding stuff to the aquarium and some people like the uncured stuff since it can have more life. Also this is carribiaen not Fiji which is the more common type of rock, not to say that other type isn't good.

dad300
07/16/2003, 07:05 PM
The uncured is fine i'm starting a new tank. However what is the difference between the cariibean and the fiji? is it a real difference.

newreefer03
07/16/2003, 09:45 PM
Definitely a difference. Caribbean rock is denser so it will fill up less volume in your tank and some people believe is not as effective in hosting the bacteria for your cycle. Some people also complain caribbean rock tends to be more round with fewer holes and crannies. I personally have a mix of Florida LR from TBS, Fiji, Marshall Island and Kaelini for diversity. The TBS rock had the most life and color by far.

dad300
07/17/2003, 08:07 AM
The more I read the more it sounds like I should pick a little of this a little of that. So i'm going on vacation next week. I think i'm going to take a cooler and buy a little bit here a little bit there at the pet stores as we travel. Understand we are doing day trips. As much as I want to get by cheap( I'm a miser) I figure i can get better diversity by buying from a variety of places.

dad300
07/17/2003, 08:09 AM
The more I read the more it sounds like I should pick a little of this a little of that. So i'm going on vacation next week. I think i'm going to take a cooler and buy a little bit here a little bit there at the pet stores as we travel. Understand we are doing day trips. As much as I want to get by cheap( I'm a miser) I figure i can get better diversity by buying from a variety of places.
And before I get flamed. I know that this is not a inexpensive hobby. However i'm a sideline antique dealer and I'm always on lookout for a deal.