PDA

View Full Version : I’ve got to stop reading about vacation nightmares

Nu2Reef
07/16/2003, 08:43 AM
I’m going away in a month for two weeks and I have someone staying at my place to take care of the dogs and tank.

So I’m making a checklist of things to do. Any input would be appreciated.

Got to get a timer for my lights

Make a feeding schedule
How much to / what to / when to feed (he’s got a large brackish water tank & is a major over feeder, got to break him of that)

When / how to do a top off

Check and empty the skimmer

Testing? He can do that but not so sure if I’ll be able to show him how to make adjustments correctly.

Set up an emergency back-up person (I’ll be sending you a PM -B-)

Is there anything else I should think of?

Scuba_Dave
07/16/2003, 08:55 AM
Make sure he knows how to post on BRS forum.
Make up packets of food for each day in advance
Have everything labaled
Make a DO NOT list
Phone number of people to help/advice/support

bdr127
07/16/2003, 08:59 AM
I would tell him to feed every other day.... less likely that things will go wrong while you are away.
For feeding, though, I recommend freezing pre-portioned frozen food in ice cube trays and just telling him to drop an ice cube in the tank. A fool-proof method.... even my mom was able to do this for me when I was gone. :p

Keith Sheridan
07/16/2003, 09:38 AM
When I go away I have a little what to do list. It covers specific things like feeding, lighting, make up water, and such. I lay it out so that if everything is fine they just follow the easily layed out steps. Then I do go into detail with each thing and a few common problems and how to deal with them. I always have my cell on, so I ask that I am called if there is anything that seems off.

If your system is stable I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh another good thing is to explain what constitutes an emergency and what doesn't. Such as a shrimp molt is not an emergency. The polyps retracting is not an emergency. Water leaking... no big deal, um yeah.

I also try to stress watching the behavoir of the fish, during feeding and such. Oh and I just measure out food in film canisters so it can be dumped in the water.

My parents were fine taking care of my FO for six weeks, and they never had experience with fish.

Nu2Reef
07/16/2003, 09:51 AM
Great idea about logging onto RC - thanks Dave.

The guy (future son in-law (sort of)) that will be taking care of the tank already does a little something for me, he’s my dog walker and turns the lights on & first feeding about noon time.

Unfortunately keeping in touch will be a bit of a problem. I’ll be out of cell phone range, I’m going to Paris & Amsterdam.

Armando
07/16/2003, 09:52 AM
Make sure this person checks the water temperature. Last night my heater went nuts and heat up the tank to 86 degrees yikes.

nanonano
07/16/2003, 09:57 AM
Future son inlaw, boy you got him by the b*lls if anything happens to your tank(jk).

Make sure you do 2-3 water changes before you take off for vacation and do a major cleaning of the equipment especialy the skimmer.
Richard

Scuba_Dave
07/16/2003, 10:05 AM
another addition a daily check list

water level/top off
lights/timers
temperature
feed
additives
and?

I think I need one of these, I keep forgetting to top off now.
Winter was easy, summer evap + MH = a lot more :(
But good to keep calc level up

sherryq
07/16/2003, 12:50 PM
I use those 7 day pill cases to put the premeasured food in. It works great.
For evaperation replacement, I leave gallon containers filled with RO/DI water and I mark the level I want the water kept at with a piece of tape.
Also, make sure you have a battery back up air pump on your tank in case power is lost while your gone.

Have fun and try not to worry.

Keith Sheridan
07/16/2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by nanonano

Make sure you do 2-3 water changes before you take off for vacation and do a major cleaning of the equipment especialy the skimmer.
Richard

If you decide to do this, do so cautiosly. If you use any mechanical/chemical filtration don't go forward and replace all of the material at once. It could cause a nitrate spike. Also I would not do any major cleaning right before you leave, do it a week or so before. I don't think it is a good idea to do anything at the last minute that may tip the balance in an otherwise stable reef.