PDA

View Full Version : New Sanjay Reflector Data!!

Zander
07/15/2003, 10:25 PM
New Reflector Data!!!
It's up at AdvancedAquarist.com :D

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/feature.htm

TippyToeX
07/15/2003, 10:33 PM
:thumbsup: Thank you for posting this. I enjoy his work (loved hearing him speak at MACNA last year) and am glad to hear some new information.

Zander
07/15/2003, 11:26 PM
This is the DE study... so when they refer to the SunlightSupply ReefOptix I, are they really talking about the ReefOptix III+?

Zander
07/16/2003, 12:16 AM
VERY interesting:

An interesting comparison is the one between 250W DE systems and the 400W lamps reflector systems. Since both used 10000K lamps (although from different manufactures, and of different styles), we could try to determine whether we can replace 400W systems with 250W DE lighting system. This would be economically quite beneficial to the aquarist, in terms of savings in power and minimizing heat additions to the tank.

just think of the controversy this will cause :rolleyes:

glad I got the 250w DE :D

jmp998
07/16/2003, 12:28 AM
If I'm reading the tables in Sanjay Joshi's article correctly, the new PFO mini-HQI 250 pendants direct about 1/3 more light into the tank compared to the old PFO pendants. I'm assuming this is due to a combination of more reflective material and better geometry.

So doesn't that mean that I can increase effective light reaching my corals by 1/3 without putting out more heat or using more electricity? That sounds like a good thing.

Edit: I have the old PFO pendants now; looks like the all the others including reefoptix etc are pretty similar to the new PFO.

Anemone
07/16/2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by TippyToex
loved hearing him speak at MACNA last year

I still don't believe you were there....must have been hiding or something..... :D

Kevin

technoshaman
07/16/2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by sdgtivr6
This is the DE study... so when they refer to the SunlightSupply ReefOptix I, are they really talking about the ReefOptix III+?

SDG - I thought the Reefoptix 3 was just the DE HQI version - reflector is basically the same?

I have 3 x 250 DE in Reefoptix 3 and am very happy with the spread/ intensity so far - I'll have to read this article through a few times to see if I can arrange mine to get better coverage.

dnjan
07/16/2003, 11:09 AM
Could somebody explain what a "cosine-corrected sensor" is?

Does this mean that only light that hits the sensor perpendicular to the sensor face is counted? Or is light that hits at an angle of less than 90 degrees is counted less?

Thanks,

TippyToeX
07/16/2003, 12:05 PM
Heehee..dangit Anemone I was there! :p How people missed me I will never get. Blond, kinda curly hair, pale and a little goofy. Ha, I thought I looked cute too. I guess people did not look at my name tag or something. <sigh>
Are you going to be there this year? I'll find ya then I promise! Just be a sweetheart and keep my little secret ;)

Sorry for the off topic. Still trying to soak in Sanjay's article.

Zander
07/16/2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by technoshaman
SDG - I thought the Reefoptix 3 was just the DE HQI version - reflector is basically the same?

the RO3+ is the DE HQI version.. and that's what they were testing... It must just be a typo??