PDA

View Full Version : Film on top of water

slickrx7
07/15/2003, 10:10 PM
I'm setting up a new 140 gal tank it has some type of film on top of the water. The only thing I have in the tank is CC the heaters and a powerhead no salt yet and no lights can anyone tell me what this is and if I should remove it. Trying to get water up to temp to add salt. Thanks

zooqi
07/15/2003, 10:16 PM
What color is it ? It might be just dust and if you put some water movement toward the sourface then it should go away. It also can be algae if you have lights on and water movement toward the sourface will take care of that. If is white and you have movement and allot of air getting in the water then is skimmate..

lllosingit
07/15/2003, 10:36 PM
Since you don't have salt added yet it's probably not going to be skimmate.
No lighting yet, probably not algae.
It's most likely dust from the CC.
You can leave it and it won't hurt anything or you can skim it off using a cup, or what I used to do with my fresh water tanks is use paper towels. Just take a dry paper towel and lay it on the surface of the water just long enough for it to get wet and then pull it out and toss it, it may take a few paper towels but it works pretty well actually.

lemmiwinks
07/15/2003, 10:37 PM
i also get a brownish algea film on the surface of my tank. it comes and goes, but i am not sure what triggers it. could it be corals reacting to a recent water change? or bad water quality? it doubt it would be the water flow (unless it is a combination of a lack of surface flow and somehting else) as i said, it comes and goes.

zooqi
07/15/2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by slickrx7
no salt yet
I missed that.:)

slickrx7
07/15/2003, 10:48 PM
I have had the water in for over a week. It just started a day or two ago. If I leave it in will it afect anything when i put the salt or rock in