PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Seaport Aquarium

newreefer03
07/15/2003, 09:02 PM
Anyone been to the Mystic Seaport Aquarium? My wife and I were thinking of taking the kids there this weekend. I'd appreciate any comments or tips. TIA:)

Keith Sheridan
07/15/2003, 09:36 PM
because I am lazy...

Originally posted by Keith Sheridan
I went down there last weekend, didn't go to any LFS, but had a lot of fun at the aquarium. First time there, I was suprised to see Beluga Whales.

It was definetly cool. Had some nice stuff, but the NEAQ is nicer. The Beluga whales are amazing.

Manager
07/16/2003, 05:55 AM
Definitely worth the trip! The whole family will enjoy it. When you are done there, the village next door has some nice shops to browse thru.

skyedolphan
07/16/2003, 11:49 AM
we trry to get there every summer It is a great place not to crowded most days and the kids from the 18 month old to the 14 tr olds really like it and enjoy the shows and yup the belugas are great

newreefer03
07/19/2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks to all who replied.
I took my wife, 2 kids, and 2 in-laws to the Mystic Aquarium today. It was a great day for it. Unfortunately, everyone else thought so too so it was very crowded. It was very nice in that a lot of it was outdoors so you could enjoy the animals and the nice weather. It was larger than I thought it would be. I would have stayed to look longer at their nice reef tanks lit by MHs but I think a lot of BRS members have nicer tanks than the ones there. Overall everyone had a good time.

Just bummed I couldn't stop at CRA on the way back because I had the in-laws and the kids were tired and cranky.

MAS
07/20/2003, 07:28 AM
I have yet to go there myself and will be going within the next week. But you think the NEAQ is better? I went there 2 summers ago, and the place hadnt really changed that I could tell over the last 10 years or so minus a few displays. Alot of displays were run down or not operational, and what was open wasnt very impressive. Have things there changed recently? I was looking forward to checking out Mystic but now your comments got me thinking. :confused:

newreefer03
07/21/2003, 07:54 AM
MAS,
I don't know how it was 2 years ago, but it is pretty nice now. They have a new awesome tank for 6 beluga whales and a new building for their display tanks and sealion show. The penguin exhibit was small. Overall the number of displays were fewer than NEAQ but still very nice especially the beluga whales.

MAS
07/21/2003, 07:59 AM
No, I have never been to Mystic, I was talking about the NEAQ being a dump a few years back. Thats the place that has never impressed me. I was asking if its been improved since then. :D

sherryq
07/21/2003, 08:33 AM
I think it has. They have definitely put more effort into having natural looking tanks - ie. more live plants in their freshwater displays and more live corals in the SW. I lot of the exhibits have not changed over the years, but that is one of the cool things about it (I think). I still get to go see the four eyed fish I use to see on my birthday every year as a kid. O.k. maybe their not the same fish, but I always liked that display.

Willistein
07/21/2003, 10:03 AM
I just went to the Mystic aquarium this past weekend and it was great, I thought better than the NEAQ. I might have been influenced by my fiancee who really liked the beluga whales though... NEAQ had a better large reef tank though. What LFS's are in Mystic?

billwinterholer
07/21/2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Willistein
I just went to the Mystic aquarium this past weekend and it was great, I thought better than the NEAQ. I might have been influenced by my fiancee who really liked the beluga whales though... NEAQ had a better large reef tank though. What LFS's are in Mystic?

The closest LFS to Mystic is in Groton: Fin and Feather Pet Shop. Best directions I can think to give you is to take I95 south to exit 86. This is the last exit before the Gold Star Bridge. Go all the way down that ramp till you come to a stop light. You should see a restaurant (Olio's) across from you. Turn left and start counting stop lights. At the third stop light, there will be an Applebee's on the left and a firehouse just past on the right. At the 7th, you'll see an AutoZone on the left side - turn left at this light. Go to the stopsign and turn right into the rear of the Groton Shopping Plaza. Ahead, you will see the Groton Post Office and a Benny's hardware store. Fin and Feather is between them, two store-fronts from Benny's.

(sorry about the windy directions)

Some folks like Fin and Feather, but a few others from your area weren't impressed with it.

Bill

newreefer03
07/21/2003, 10:27 PM
Willistein,
The LFS I was referring to was CRA--Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk, MA just across the border from Providence. I've never been there but I've heard great things about it.