PDA

View Full Version : Hippo update

Niven
04/25/2001, 12:06 AM
Some of you may have read that my hepatus tang jumped out a week ago sat. Well after a little 'mouth to mouth' and a short stint in quaranteen, he seems to have recovered:D About two days after his leap, there were huge abraisions on one side where he had dried out. I'll post some pics soon. These abraisions seem to be down to the bone :( They are now healing and I think he's going to pull through. The most he could have been out of the water for was 4 hours :eek1:

I just want everyone to take the chance of puting their fish back in and give THEM a chance. Who knows, they might just make it:D
Thank you for listening,
Gareth

platylover
04/25/2001, 02:06 AM
I dunno man....doesn't the three second rule apply here? I mean, when I drop a McNugget on the floor it is typically okay to eat it as long as I get to it within three seconds.

PC100
04/25/2001, 02:29 AM
I would have loved to give my Bicolor Blenny a chance when he carpet surfed... except that he was crispy dry when I found him. I reckon he was only out of the water around 3 hours- short time compared to yours! I really missed that guy cos he was one of my favourites, personality-wise:(

Vilas
04/25/2001, 06:23 AM
dude, hippo tangs are far too bony, three seconds or not. Try a cleaner shrimp.

Niven, glad to hear your tang's looking better! I had a damsel "hitchhiker" in my live rock - the poor thing got up in a hole in the rock - and only made it about 5 minutes after an hour out of the water. :( Probably for the best, I didn't want damsels in my tank, but regardless. Quite sad.
C

Rovert
04/25/2001, 08:54 AM
When my Snowflake Eel decided to go ballistic, it must have happened overnight, so when I got to the living room in the morning, he was a pretty crispy critter.

The good folks here said they were tough, so I figured I'd put him back in the tank. He looked as though he was improving, so I went away for the weekend. Bad idea. He died when I was away, and I came back to one foul smelling tank. That caused a cascade of other problems. Enormous algae bloom, and stress to the other fish, so they got ich.

Moral of the story: Make sure you'll be around to monitor the progreess!

Afishianado
04/25/2001, 09:05 AM
Platylover...I spent some years in the Army and we had a 10 second rule. Guess the harder up you are for food....the longer the rule gets. Anyway...I think it's awesome that the tang is looking good. You don't hear many success stories like that.

Chris

JSC
04/25/2001, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear it!

kmu
04/25/2001, 09:55 AM
The same thing happened to me once but it was with a cichlid(don't remember the name it was a 2 inch round shaped white fish). When I got home I went to my tank and mistakenly step on the little fish that was on the floor(jajjaja) it was a wooden floor so it got stuck pretty bas I had to use a spoond to rip it from the floor, well since there where alot of cichlids in my tank I decided to trow it in so that it becomes fish food, but to my surprise it was well alive the next day and further on. Just wanted to share this with you.

Mario Camou

Vilas
04/25/2001, 10:44 AM
kmu, I think I'm going to be disturbed for the rest of the day after hearing that!

*blink* *blink*