PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

mojo215
07/15/2003, 11:49 AM
I have silt everywhere. All over my rocks, glass, pumps etc.

I never had this problem before since I used filter pads. I have since removed them and letting the sand and rock do the filtering. It's not working well. What causes it and should I go back to using filters.

I have F/O, 75gl, Euro-Reef skimmer, and Geissman lights. About 5" sand and about 80lbs rock.

I feed once a day, but I do leave a sheet of Nori in overnight.

Please help. It plugged up my skimmer really bad last week. :confused:

Scuba_Dave
07/15/2003, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure how big a sheet of Nori is, but I never feed before bedtime. Do you have a return or a powerhead that is stirring up the sand? How often are you feeding? How long has tank been setup? How many fish, type? My clowns stir up sand all the time.
Are you sure this isn't algea bloom? Light cycle - wattage?
Water param?

gumhead
07/15/2003, 12:48 PM
if you recently removed your filter it might be an algae bloom like Dave said. Diatoms looks like a light brown dust or silt. If its Diatoms it will go away as soon as the bacteria on the rocks and sand catch up to your bio load...

mojo215
07/15/2003, 01:15 PM
I have a clown, tangs, wrasse, gobi and a blenny. I will stop feeding after bedtime. Tank is over 2 years old.

And I never had this before. Hope you are right that this will go away soon.

I am honeslty ready to break down the setup and end the hobby.

skyedolphan
07/15/2003, 03:35 PM
keep the chin up When I removed my canister filter some months back I had the same problem but it went away in about a month..