PDA

View Full Version : A Boston Reefers Project?

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/15/2003, 10:37 AM
Buy a chloramine kit for the club and let folks see if they have chloramine in their RO/DI water:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1538359

Scuba_Dave
07/15/2003, 10:44 AM
I'd kick in some for a group test kit

matt-davis sq.
07/15/2003, 10:59 AM
You need not test, although I'm so glad to hear that people are taking an interest in this.

You can get the data on how much chloramine is in your water supply, here in Boston at least, from the MWRA.

A test will only give you a snapshot picture of one instant in time.

Chloramine concentrations likely vary diurnally and seasonally, as well as by location. If you look at the whole data, you can get a better idea of what the expected concentration is, what the standard deviations are, and what the extremes are.

I will report back with data,

Matt:cool:

moe_k
07/15/2003, 11:30 AM
Matt, the MWRA report doesn't tell one how much chloramine is the their RO/DI, right? Just their tap water.

Scuba_Dave
07/15/2003, 11:41 AM
I live like way south, would MWRA still cover my area? Hanson, MA. Thanx

matt-davis sq.
07/15/2003, 11:44 AM
I didn't know there was an RO/DI tap in my house?

:lol:

Seriously, I'll have to check on that. Sorry,

Matt:cool:

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/15/2003, 03:42 PM
Maybe the group can vote on buying a kit (or not) at the next meeting?

Ken2001
07/15/2003, 03:50 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea. Perhaps, we could all bring in samples of our water at each meeting? Then, we could conduct a round of tests once a month or so and get an idea of where our RO/DI water stands.

Ken

Of course, I seem to miss so many meetings that I'd almost never get an actual chance to test my water....

Scott Merrill
07/15/2003, 03:56 PM
would the low range cn-66 kit work as well since we are testing RODI water?

https://ecommerce.hach.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=152&prrfnbr=55497&MainCategory=Product&Parameter=&ProductType=&Application=&from=SearchResult&keywords=&kwsearch=CN-66&where=&from2=

FREE/TOTAL CHLORINE TEST CN-66

S48202
Vendor No.:2231-33
47.00 w/ Free Shipping ( i might even be able to get it completely Free)

moe_k
07/15/2003, 08:28 PM
Scott, if you can pick one up for free, that'd be great.

If that fails, I'm good for a few bucks towards a test kit. Who else is good for a few dollars? Shall we say $5 donation each for Randy's research project?
We'd need 10 donors: 9 more to go. Who's in?

Randy; will the BRS get an honorable mention in any publication that comes from the research? :D :cool:

Scott Merrill
07/15/2003, 09:09 PM
if randy can take a look at the two kits and make sure the cn-66 works i can get a $$ answer in the next day or two.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/16/2003, 08:06 AM
The CN-66 does not have a low range. It runs 0-3.5 ppm in 0.1 increments. I only got 0.4-0.5 ppm in my raw tap water. The CN-70 is only about $13 more, and has a 0-0.7 range in 0.02 increments (in addition to the same range as the CN-66), so I think the CN-70 is a better choice.

Ken2001
07/16/2003, 08:27 AM
Moe,

I have no problem ponying up $5 for this project.

Ken

Heavydc2
07/16/2003, 09:15 AM
You can count me in for 5 if ya test my water too.

nickoz
07/16/2003, 11:58 AM
I just recieved the latest quality report in the mail for the town of Billerica. I will look at it and post something later.

-nick

moe_k
07/16/2003, 12:33 PM
Hey Nick,
Chloramine results for your tap water won't tell us the levels in your RO or RO/DI water, right?
I think that's what Randy is interested in: Chloramine levels in your RO/DI water.

RobboT
07/16/2003, 12:54 PM
I'd chip in $5 to test mantishunter's RO/DI water. :D

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/16/2003, 02:30 PM
Chloramine levels in your RO/DI water.

Yes, that is what is in question.

FWIW, this is not an off the cuff idea. In the past few months I've had extensive discussions, hundreds of posts long, with various chemists, water experts and RO/DI manufacturers. Some of these discussions are public here at RC. We've discussed many issues relating to chloramines and water systems and testing at great length.

The upshot is that it is not clear whether these systems will take out chloramines in all cases, and the high pH of MWRA water makes it one of the more difficult cases.

In the past when folks have asked (including some Boston Reefers) whether a particular system would remove chloramines, I've had to give an uncertain answer. Such a test will definitively answer the question for anyone that uses it, and the collective data may help answer the question for folks thinking about what system to get.

Aneille
07/16/2003, 05:06 PM
Confused!? :confused:

If your tap water does not contain chloramines (based on water quality supply report from your town) then it would not test for chloramines in your RO/DI water correct?

Or is there something I am missing...

~Kim

gumhead
07/16/2003, 05:44 PM
Im willing to donate some cashola for a kit or two so we can do group testing...

seasno
07/16/2003, 05:58 PM
I am up in the boonies and my rodi water is processed from my well, but you can count me in for the $5 if it will help!

Craig

joefitz
07/16/2003, 06:39 PM
My understanding is that chloromines will drastically reduce the life of RO/DI filters (maybe just the DI?)...? Is that true or am I mistaken?

I'd definitely like to know how effective RO/DI units are at removing chloromines but I'd also like to know at what cost they are doing so. If I'm burning through filters every month because of chloramines then I might need to find another way to get/make water.

Joe

Marco67
07/17/2003, 05:39 AM
I haven't had time to catch up on this whole thing but hell for 5.00Bucks I wanna play too.:D

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/17/2003, 08:17 AM
If your tap water does not contain chloramines (based on water quality supply report from your town) then it would not test for chloramines in your RO/DI water correct?

That is quite true.

The MWRA adds chloramine, so anyone in any town that uses MWRA water has the issue. Folks on well water won't have any chloramine. Towns that use their own water supplies may or may not have it, and checking witht he water supply will certainly tell you if there is a potential issue or not.

FWIW, the mwra site is at:

http://www.mwra.com

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/17/2003, 08:22 AM
My understanding is that chloromines will drastically reduce the life of RO/DI filters (maybe just the DI?)...? Is that true or am I mistaken?

Possibly true for some membranes, not true for others. Not true for products from Spectrapure, as described in this thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200056

Nevertheless, that is one reason for testing the RO reject water for chlorine and chloramine, as described in the original post that I made. It was also part of the reason for starting this round of tests.

Scuba_Dave
07/17/2003, 08:41 AM
Looks like for now I'm outside the MWRA area, I'll have to check with my local town (Hanson).

Aneille
07/17/2003, 12:27 PM
Braintree, Holbrook and Randolph are part of the Tri-Town Water Commision and the 3 towns get their water from Richardi Reservoir and Great Pond.

I got the Braintree water quality report in the beg. of July and no Chloramines were listed. So it should be the same for the other 2 towns as well.

But you can always call to check for yourself.

Just an FYI.

~Kim

Scott Merrill
07/17/2003, 03:43 PM
how many kits should i get? 2?
i figure we could do it as a MACNA donation.
i will cover the kits $$ ( not sure on the Price yet)
and all 5.00 donations can go to the MACNA fund
I should have them by early next week.

aquarium nut
07/17/2003, 11:35 PM
i could also see if skiptons could get a kit and donate it ?

KAS
07/18/2003, 07:47 AM
How ya been? Haven't seen you around in awhile. Glad to see you posting again.
-Karen

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/31/2003, 12:53 PM
What's the status on this, Scott?

Scott Merrill
07/31/2003, 03:41 PM
kits should be avail for next day del. just not sure if we need more than 1? or should i get 2? where will we test? the BRS BBQ?

moe_k
07/31/2003, 04:01 PM
how many test? i don't know. that's best determined by you folks.

the officers will help you out with the logistics and funding if required (but Jim's tight with the funds - so try and get stuff donated by companies: receipts don't cost Jim anything ;) ).

whenever you get the tests, let us know. we can put together a metro-boston gathering point for water testing. i bet Leo from Skiptons would love to help out with this kind of study. perhaps the water samples could be brought to skiptons, and the testing done there. if samples can be held (so that chloramine levels arent effected) then so much the better - but i doubt that's so.

Bgywrinkle
07/31/2003, 05:55 PM
I'm in for $5 when needed.

Regards,
Don

Scott Merrill
07/31/2003, 06:48 PM
tests are on me $$$. just not sure how many to get.
randy? 1 or 2?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/01/2003, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure.

You can get quite a few tests out of each one (50 of each type, I think).

So if each person runs 3 samples (tap, RO reject, RO/DI), that about a dozen people.

If there were more than a dozen, then we'd need 2 kits.

spyro
08/01/2003, 12:38 PM
I'll contribute $5.00 towards these kits. I need to test my
water since Saugus IS in the MWRA service area.

:eek2:

Scott Merrill
08/01/2003, 10:58 PM
2 kits are due in by wed of next week. :thumbsup: now its when and where? :beer:

moe_k
08/01/2003, 11:08 PM
Scott - can you get the test kits to Skiptons quickly?

How many MWRA customers can bring three water samples to Skiptons next weekend (Aug 8,9,10)?

The samples Randy wants are (please correct of wrong):
- tap water (untreated)
- RO water (the good stuff you'd keep)
- waste water ejected from your RO unit

Collect samples just before bringing to Skiptons. Label them clearly.

That's my first idea. I still have yet to clear with Leo.
What do y'all think? Who can do it?

Randy, do these methods meet with your approval?
I guess there is room for error if people mislabel or if they don't get the samples to the test area right away.
Any comments?

Ken2001
08/02/2003, 07:26 AM
Moe,

I can bring the three samples by Skiptons sometime over the next week -- can't guarantee exactly when, so have to hope Skiptons wouldn't mind holding the samples for a few days.

Is Randy only looking for MWRA water, or other water too (I live in Swampscott)?

Ken

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/04/2003, 07:34 AM
These tests are also being carried out by folks in other areas of the country. The purpose is to see if RO/DI systems available to hobbyists and run under typical conditions do take out chloramine adequately. So any water system is worth testing, assuming that it uses chloramine, and not chlorine (the water report or web site will likely tell you).

Randy, do these methods meet with your approval?

Yes, that's great.

The chloramines will last ok (and if not, won't show up in the tap sample anyway).

So when testing with the kits, if the tap sample comes up no chloramine (meaning no total chlorine), don't bother testing the other samples.

If it comes up with total chlorine, then test for free chlorine to see if the sample is free chlorine or chloramine. If it is all free chlorine, don't bother to test further either (unless there are extra tests available), as the RO/DI carbon will remove it easily.

Let the tap water and RO/DI water run a bit before collecting. You don't want water that has sat around in your pipes or RO/DI system for a long time to be part of the sample. That might mean collecting at least a couple of gallons of RO/DI water before sampling it. In the middle or end of a big collection would be best.

moe_k
08/04/2003, 07:37 PM
Okay. Skiptons is in on this.
I'm hashing out a few details with Leo.
My thinking is one of these Saturdays we'll have a 4 hour window when folks should bring their samples to Skiptons. I'll be there the 4 hours to test, log, supervise, shoot the breeze, whatever. I'll wear a BRS tshirt for easy identification. :p

More details to follow, but this is a go.
Who will participate on 09Aug, lets say at high noon - four pm?

Please participate and respond!

Scuba_Dave
08/04/2003, 08:17 PM
Possibly, supposed to have a cookout, depending upon weather. But, might be able to run up on M/C for test

RobboT
08/04/2003, 09:36 PM
Either Ron or I will bring samples from Canton. Canton is MWRA too. What is the required sample volume? Is 40ml enough? And now the geek in me (and my profession) comes out . . .

Randy is this info being collected for a real report or is it a "lets just check and see"? If so we should probably run a duplicate of a sample or two just for quality control.

Hehe sorry . . . we now bring you back to your regularly scheduled reef discussion already in progress . . .

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/05/2003, 07:24 AM
I do hope to put it all together for an article in reefkeeping, particularly since the different sales reps and manufacturers are suggesting different things.

Running duplicate tests is a fine idea as long as the test kits don't run out. I ran many replicates at my house, and found that the RO/DI system took it out both days, but that the level of chloramine in the tap water varied considerably between the two days (0.08 ppm one day, 0.4 ppm the other). I believe that 40 mL is enough for a single test (I think it takes 25 mL, IIRC).

So far, there are results from 3-4 systems, including mine. In all of those cases, the RO/DI removed the chloramine. So for future tests, I probably wouldn't bother to run duplicates unless you found that chloramine was getting through. The test kit itself is rather idiot proof (add one reagent, compare the color).

Here's my suggested format for collecting the data (with my data filled in):

Tap water 0.4-0.5 ppm total chlorine (duplicate read on a different day read 0.08 ppm total chlorine); no free chlorine (<0.01 ppm) either day

RO reject 0.02 ppm total chlorine, no free chlorine (<0.01 ppm)

RO/DI no total chlorine (<0.01 ppm), didn't bother to test free chlorine.

Tap water pH is about 9.

System is a Spectrapure CSP25DI system.

kastanzaman
08/05/2003, 01:05 PM
I will be there.
can I pay my dues at this time???

moe_k
08/05/2003, 01:16 PM
I won't have the membership cards nor the laminator. Membership issues are best done at the general meeting on the 23rd (August Lighting Symposium).

moe_k
08/05/2003, 06:20 PM
Can folks bring water samples this Saturday?

How about next Saturday (the 16th)? Would that work better?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/06/2003, 07:45 AM
The individual results for any particular setup ought to be of significant interest to the reef keeper in question.

If you are letting chloramine into your aquarium, that could be causing trouble for the tank inhabitants. If you have an RO/DI that lets it through, you can solve the problem easily enough by adding a dechlorinating agent after the RO/DI.

In fact, both the testing and the solution are cheap and easy. Most problems in reef keeping, as in life, are not so easily diagnosed and solved.

Scott Merrill
08/06/2003, 01:24 PM
kits are in. qty 2. i will drop them off at skiptons as soon as i can.

:D

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/06/2003, 02:58 PM
Fabulous!

Thanks for donating them :thumbsup:

moe_k
08/07/2003, 10:21 PM
Is anyone going to bring water samples to Skiptons on Saturday? I don't wanna spend 4 hours waiting if nobody will show up.

So far, it's just 2 people coming by?

mantishunter
08/07/2003, 11:13 PM
RobboT and I will make it.

Scuba_Dave
08/08/2003, 07:33 AM
I am going to try to make it, close to noon as we have a cookout after that

moe_k
08/09/2003, 03:43 PM
Okay, the water testing was done.

We tested water from Skiptons', mantishunter (and RobbboT), and Kanstanzaman. The results are good news for us aquarists.

Thanks Scott, for getting the kits and dropping them off at Skiptons.

Thanks to Skiptons for hosting our test, for running a few specials for BRS members this afternoon, and for recruiting 3 or 4 new members.

Thanks to mantishunter and RobboT for stopping by and lending their support/help.

I'll post all the results right after I run the test on my own RO water.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/09/2003, 07:37 PM
The results are good news for us aquarists.

:thumbsup:

The reports that I've had from others have also been good.

moe_k
08/10/2003, 03:49 PM
Rob Tess
Tap water:
Total Cl reading: 2.5
Total Cl calcul. 0.50
Free Cl reading: 1.0
Free CL calcul. 0.20

RO/DI water (Kent RO/DI):
Total Cl reading: 0.0
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free Cl reading: ND
Free CL calcul. ND

Waste water:
Total Cl reading: 0.2
Total Cl calcul. 0.04
Free Cl reading: 0.0
Free CL calcul. 0.0

Skiptons Pet Center
Tap water:
Total Cl reading: 0.4
Total Cl calcul. 0.08
Free Cl reading: 0.2
Free CL calcul. 0.04

RO/DI water (Kent RO/DI):
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

Waste water:
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

Jeff “Kanstanzaman�
Tap water:
Total Cl reading: >2.5
Total Cl calcul. 2.5
Free Cl reading: 2.0
Free CL calcul. 2.0

RO/DI water (Spectrapure 4-stage RO/DI):
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

Waste water:
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

Moe Kirby
Tap water:
Total Cl reading: 1.5 (Reading confirmed twice)
Total Cl calcul. 0.30
Free Cl reading: 1.5 (Reading confirmed twice)
Free CL calcul. 0.30

RO/DI water (Kent RO only):
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

Waste water:
Total Cl calcul. 0.0
Free CL calcul. ND

moe_k
08/10/2003, 05:22 PM
So, it looks like the carbon in our RO units are removing any chlorine in tap water, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/11/2003, 07:46 AM
Yes it does. That is good news that the chloramine is removed:)

What does "calcul." mean?

Scuba_Dave
08/11/2003, 07:56 AM
Stuck at home waiting for wife's brother to drop off a refrig dolly so I could pu the 180g, possible that testing will be performed at Aug meeting?
Also, could you tell us approx area that water was from. IE town person is located in/water district?
I'm not a stalker, honest.....http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/edoom/ALD.gif

kastanzaman
08/11/2003, 09:47 AM
I'm located in Cambridge, Central sq

moe_k
08/11/2003, 10:27 AM
Randy, sorry I was a bit unclear with "calcu."

For most tests performed, the reading we got for chlorine (either total or free" needed to be divided by 5, per the test instructions.
The values next to "calcu." is the quotient of the reading divided by 5 - it stands for calculated value
The exception was for Kastanzaman's water (from Cambridge) which was off the scale initially. Those samples were not diluted, so there is no division required.

Is that correct, RobboT?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/12/2003, 07:55 PM
I don't have the directions handy, nor am I sure what you did, but you should only report one value for each sample of water. If you used the reflecting mirror, I think you divide by something (it may be 5). If you did that, don't report the undivided value.

Maybe the kit can become part of the library and can be lent out.

moe_k
08/12/2003, 08:13 PM
Oh, thanks for the tip Randy. If I could only edit that post with the data, I'd get rid of the color wheel's reading.

We can definitely lend out the tests, there are a ton of packets left over. I'll get them to "Greg the Librarian" soon. :D

Reef-lite
08/12/2003, 10:03 PM
Moe, how long does the test take? Maybe we could set up a testing station at the Lighting event.

moe_k
08/12/2003, 10:07 PM
We'd need three samples from folks again.
1) Tap water
2) RO product water
3) waste water

Anyway, the tests take a few minutes each, but require rinsing the test tubes with RO water in between tests, and then drying w/ paper towels. Two tests are run on each sample (provided Total Chlorin is detected).
Having RobboT run the tests at Skiptons was key.

Scuba_Dave
08/13/2003, 07:46 AM
I would bring samples to the Aug 23rd meeting. Is there a preffered way of transferring the water to min contamination? Plastic bags? Wash out w/RO water 1st?

moe_k
08/13/2003, 08:15 AM
At Skiptons, we discovered plastic bags don't work well. They tend to break. Plastic or glass jars work well.

JeremyR
08/13/2003, 09:18 AM
So basically all this worrying about chloramine is just needless worrying?

Keith Sheridan
08/13/2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JeremyR

You know that is 90% of this hobby, the other half is the actual reefkeeping.

RobboT
08/13/2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JeremyR

I think you're right Jeremy but my concern would be how the chloramine impacts cartridge life. I assume that most if not all of the chloramine is picked up in the carbon filter (as evidenced by the chloramine concentrations in the waste samples) but Im not sure about how it affects the RO Membrane and the DI resin.

Of course this will only be a concern when I actually own my own RO/DI unit as opposed to leeching off of a friendly neighborhood reefer.

RobboT
08/13/2003, 03:01 PM
As for testing on August 23rd . . . I wish I could be there, Id be happy to do more testing, unfortunatley I cant make it so here's what I know . . .

Bring at least 75ml of water for each sample (tap, waste, ro/di) preferrably more. You need 25 ml for each test and 25ml for reference so if the total chlorine comes up positive you need to test for free chlorine thus requiring 75ml.

The test is very simple and takes only a few minutes per test. But like Moe said you need rinse water (i.e. someone should bring a gallon or two of ro/di or distilled water) and you need a place for waste (i.e. someone should bring a 5g pail).

Finally, yes Moe that is correct, Kastanzaman's sample read 2.5 on the high range scale which means the result is direct and doesnt need to be divided by 5. I believe though that the sample was a darker shade of pink than even the high range scale had and that is why Moe showed >2.5 on his chart. I would have diluted down and got a better reading but there was not enough sample to do so. That and I'm lazy ;)

Rob

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/14/2003, 08:01 AM
Some of the manufacturers were warning, or at least worrying, that their systems, and those of competitors, were not up to the task. So far it looks OK, and it would be great if it turned out that we can tell hobbyists to not worry. I know that it has worried me and some other Boston Reefers in the past.

Were any of the RO systems used high flow types, such as 50 or 100 gpd? Those are the ones at most risk, according to the experts.

Scuba_Dave
08/14/2003, 08:34 AM
I have a 100gpd unit - Air/Water/Ice & 80 psi at my house - which I throttle back to 75 psi. I am planning on bringing samples to Aug meeting.

nanonano
08/14/2003, 08:51 AM
I also have a 100gpd RODI by AquaticReef. I will bring samples too. Miss the last saturday testing , by the time I got there Skipptons hav already closed.
Richard

moe_k
08/14/2003, 08:54 AM
We're gonna need a volunteer to conduct the tests and record results. Many of our usual volunteers already have tasks assigned on the 23rd.

Sea Serpent
08/14/2003, 09:17 AM
I'll help - although I have not done these tests before . .. I can follow directions quite nicely.

I'll bring 3 gallons of RO/DI water and a bucket and a roll of paper towels and a plastic table cover for us messy folk. (Plus pens and notebook)

Does this mean that I will miss Sanjay's talk? :confused: :sad2:

moe_k
08/14/2003, 09:22 AM
Nah, you won't miss the talk. We can do testing before and after our speakers are on stage. Thanks for volunteering, Paula. :cool:

nanonano
08/14/2003, 09:34 AM
Well since I won't miss any of Sanjay speech I guess I can help also and members can pick up their Calfo books.

Richard

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/14/2003, 02:06 PM
Testing those big systems will be great. :thumbsup:

I did get one email from someone with a big, presumably custom system of carbon and DI at a large commercial enterprise, and that system was apparently letting through chlorine and possibly chloramine. So far, none of the aquarium systems seems to be a problem, but I don't know that we have much data on the biggies yet.

kastanzaman
08/14/2003, 02:11 PM
Don't know if it helps any but my system is the spectrapure 4-stage 90Gpd

Sea Serpent
08/14/2003, 02:37 PM
I am curious about my "piggy back" RO/DI . I have a 60 gpd with a second membrane mounted beside the first .. . It really does increase the output of the "good" water to almost 120 gpd . . . I will bring some waste and product water to compare against everyone else's.

moe_k
08/14/2003, 02:43 PM
Bring some tap water too!
If there's no chlorine going in, then there's no point in testing for chlorine coming out.

greypet
08/15/2003, 07:39 AM
i recently spoke with Kent about the chloramine problem. According to them the carbon will remove the chlorine component and the resin will remove the ammonia part. I haven't tested this yet at Skipton, but plan to do the test. MWRA of Boston publishes their level to be no higher than 2PPM of chloramine with a pH of 9+. In the start up phase years ago we registered 18PPM and several 10's. After the first year its been stable from .5 to 2.
Federal limit I believe is 4PPM. Depending on how much watere you use,at what level the chloramine is running in your area and the capability of the system will determine if any chloramine gets into your make up water. If you don't like playing Russian roullette with your prize tank then I suggest you test the water occasionally. PS: testing for ammonia will give you an indicator if the system is passing Chloramine.

RobboT
08/15/2003, 08:03 AM
A story I heard . . . sounds feasible wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

Supposedly the chloramine level in MWRA water drops significantly from Friday to Sunday and then on Monday morning jumps way up. The reason suggested was that WTP Operators dont work weekends (Im sure there's coverage but probably not much more thanwhats necessary to keep things running). So during the week up to Friday the water quality is pretty consistent because the operators can keep up with fluctuations in incoming water. But they set everything on automatic for the weekend so as the weekend draws to a close the chloramine levels drop. On Monday morning the WTP Operators come in and correct the quality sometimes overcompensating by going high to kill off anything that may have accumulated in the system over the weekend.

Sounds somewhat logical but truth or Urban Legend I cant tell . . . an interesting storyt nonetheless.

kastanzaman
08/15/2003, 09:05 AM
If its true that chloramine levels are lower on the weekends that is interesting, because i collected my water sat. morning. Meaning cambridge water is even worse.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/15/2003, 09:29 AM
i recently spoke with Kent about the chloramine problem. According to them the carbon will remove the chlorine component and the resin will remove the ammonia part. I haven't tested this yet at Skipton, but plan to do the test.

Thanks, that's not exactly correct, but it is close. The carbon catalytically breaks the chloramine apart, and the DI will take up the ammonia part of it that comes off. The question is whether there is enough contact time with the carbon, and that's one reason I am interested in the larger RO/DI systems (with perhaps less contact time).

I just want to reiterate for folks that this isn't something that I just dreamed up. Many of us chemists talked to many of the RO/DI manufacturers to get a plan that would give us some info. There are threads hundreds of posts long discussing and planning these tests. Spectrapure, for example, said they were not sure that the high pH MWRA water would be successfully treated by their systems (same for other manufacturers). This discussion is on the Spectrapure forum here at RC.

Interesting about the days of the week idea. I tested twice. One was far higher than the other, but can't recall which days of the week I tested.

greypet
08/16/2003, 08:34 PM
Your welcome to test ours. It passed on BRS Saturday. We have one that runs 200gpd(which I suspect was the tested unit) and the main unit that runs 600 gpd. Call me at the store directly if you would like to run tests?

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/17/2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks. What kind of unit is the 200 gpd? Is it a commercial system, or something that you folks put together?

Scuba_Dave
08/20/2003, 02:58 PM
Just bumpin this back up also, but it will probably be buried by Sat :)

Sea Serpent
08/26/2003, 03:44 PM
Hi - I forgot to post the results from Saturday's water testing.
We had 5 samples from different towns.

1. Peabody (collected Sat) Aqua FX 100 gpd
Tap=.5 total, .18 Free;
Ro/Di 0,
waste:.12 Total, 0 Free

2, Andover (collected Fri) Industrial >1M gpd
RO/DI sample only: 0 Total

3. Bedford, MA (Collected Sat) Kent 60 x2 (piggyback)=120 gpd
Tap = 0 Total
Test done again with collected on Tuesday
Tap = .1

4. Hanson (collected Sat) A/W/I 100 gpd
Tap = 0 Total

5. Medford (collected Sat) Spectrapure 60 gpd
Tap = .6 Total (not enough to test for Free)
RO/DI = 0 Total
Waste = 0 Total

So, IMHO, it doesn't look like chlorine is much of an issue . .. but it makes me wonder if our tap water with no chlorine is OK for us HUMANS to drink!!! Isn't Chlorine put into the water to purify it for drinking? Our fish are swimming in better water than we are drinking.

Thanks to Sherryq for helping with the tests!

Paula

Scuba_Dave
08/26/2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the update! I feel better now.