PDA

View Full Version : new DAS skimmer questions

sheridan
04/22/2001, 09:17 PM
Just set up first tank yesterday. Is 120 gallons, with DAS skimmer setup. I have 200# SD sand, 100# uncured Figi LR. Will be adding more rock at the end of the week. Live sand and detrivore kits after the rock has cured. Have heater, PH's, lights going (4 URI white actinic and 2 blue) I plugged in the skimmer today and it started foaming and overflowing so I adjusted the air valve back which has stopped the overflow, but now it just kind of percolates with very wet foamy bubbles in the cup. Is this the way it should be? I know what the foam should look like. Just don't know how quickly I should expect to see it. I realize skimmers may have a breaking in period, but really don't know if this is going as it should. Any suggestions and advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

john f
04/22/2001, 10:35 PM
My DAS took almost 3 weeks before it started skimming, and skimming, and skimming..................

John

David Corbett
04/22/2001, 11:01 PM
I have several DAS skimmers and I adjust them either by the ball valve on the input side (EX models)or with the slide gate (BX models) I always have the air intake valves wide open, it is basically for when removing the collection cup to stop the foam. If you are talking about the built in H99 models I won't be much help I don't have any. I will say though adjustment is quite simple and stable and you should start getting some good quality scum within 24 hours. Results will steadily improve in the continuing days, DAS skimmers are IMHO the best skimmer on the market hands down. DOC

RWD
04/22/2001, 11:14 PM
It may take a few weeks to settle down and skim consistantly. If it overflows or skims too wet then you may have to cut back on the air valves. After a whileyou should be able to turn the valves wide open.

sheridan
04/23/2001, 10:24 AM
Thanks to all. Just a little first time paranoia.