PDA

View Full Version : Tunze powerheads worth the money

inthemix
07/10/2003, 03:11 PM
Im still looking into the best circulation method for my 90 gallon, what would you all recomend? Im going to be keeping a wide array of corals and about 6 fish with my 110 lbs or LR.

For $800, is it worth the money to get two tunze stream powerheads and the controller? Heres the link http://www.tunze.com/usa/index.html?lang=en-gb

Or, should I just get 4 maxijet powerheads and a wavemaker?

Pleas post your opinions. Money is a factor, however the biggest factor is performance and reef optimization/

quiksilver
07/10/2003, 04:54 PM
I'll send this thread to melev who I know is quite happy with his tunze purchase... He will know more

Good Luck

melev
07/10/2003, 06:34 PM
What are your dimensions on the 90g? I'd guess that even one stream is too much flow, as those things are incredibly powerful.

I did a review of the Turbelle (http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=16) not too long ago. Mine (only one) on my 55g is way more than adequate. I think two of those would be good on a 90g.

nick18tjetta
07/10/2003, 09:32 PM
Maxi-jet.....

Old Yeller Tang
07/10/2003, 09:43 PM
I think they're worth it! Depending on your dimensions, you could go with one 6080 for a 4' tank or two 6060 for a 5'+ tank, one on each end. The 6080 can reach more than 5' but it drops off drastically, that's why I think it would be a very good flow on a 4ft long tank. The 6060 is good up to 4ft, so if you bought 2 for a tanks between 5'-8' long, you should have a nice flow, even better with two 6080's for tanks over 6ft long!

reef_freak_hou
07/10/2003, 09:47 PM
Tunze Power Streams hands down!

I couldn't make a recommendation what would be adequate for your 90, but if you post to Roger in Tunze Vendor Forum I am sure he could make the best recommendation for you.

The pump is extremely powerful, but not destructive. I put the kit of two 6100 pumps and multicontroller on my 240 and was worried that it was too much from what I read from previous posts.

Not at all! Being on the controller enabled to tone down the flow and at the same time remove 6 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads and the wavemaker.

If you have the money for these bad boys, I would go for it!

nick18tjetta
07/10/2003, 10:52 PM
I am not understanding this? Paying 800 for 2 powerheads and a controller???? I purchased my protein skimmer, halides, 6 maxijet 900's, my mag-18 and my 125 gallon aquarium for less than that price?????????? (to be fair, the tank and halides were used) All to use on a 90 gallon tank???? Someone clue me in.

Thanks

Nick

moonpod
07/11/2003, 12:37 AM
In a word: Yes. Only those who haven't seen this stuff in action would question it.

nick18tjetta
07/11/2003, 12:26 PM
I'm not saying its not a quality powerhead, I'm just don't think its worth 15X more than getting some maxijets and a wavemake, especially for a 90 gallon tank. I wouldn't probably spend that kind of cash on a couple of powerheads unless i was doing a 200gallon+ inwall tank.

moonpod
07/11/2003, 12:30 PM
In a 90 I'd only use one on the single controller and just place my return and overflow opposite the powerhead. Two and a multicontroller are overkill on a 90. Cost is actually then pretty darn close to 4 maxis and a wavemaker. Tunze powerheads are pretty nice units. Repairable and rebuildable. Many stories of 10+ year old Tunze units out there. Very low heat transfer. Very reliable. Agreed, the price is high, but they are great units, VERY well supported by Roger Vitko of Tunze USA, and I think you will find very few owners who don't like 'em over the long haul. Over the short term your backend hurts too much from the bite that was taken out of it though...:D

Old Yeller Tang
07/11/2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by nick18tjetta
I am not understanding this? Paying 800 for 2 powerheads and a controller???? I purchased my protein skimmer, halides, 6 maxijet 900's, my mag-18 and my 125 gallon aquarium for less than that price?????????? (to be fair, the tank and halides were used) All to use on a 90 gallon tank???? Someone clue me in.

Thanks

Nick

If he went my route, he'd only be spending either $185 for 1 6080 or $260 for 2 6060's. Did the 6080 go up in price? I thought I only paid $157 for mine new! I really don't think a controller is needed unless your pushing a stonger pump in a smaller area. Like I said, I have the 6080 and had the 6060 and no controller needed fo me.

melev
07/11/2003, 12:54 PM
My Turbelle cost me $200 (bought it one month used - sells for $229 new), and I remember thinking "WOW, I just shelled out $200 for a powerhead! What was I thinking?!" but once I got it and saw all the features (not just plug in and push water), I was really impressed.

Plus, my unit (others as well perhaps) will sound an alarm if the impellar becomes jammed. It will attempt to restart every 15 minutes I believe, which is a fantastic feature to protect the motor.

One Turbelle in my 55 has been more than enough current, pumping up to 700gph.

MalHavoc
07/11/2003, 01:17 PM
Yes, I agree with melev. You can't compare the Tunze Streams with regular maxijet powerheads. For one, these things put out a huge amount of current (in excess of 3000 GPH for a 6100), which would only be possible to do with maxijets if you bought ten of them or something.

The fact that they are controllable and repairable and all that other good stuff just makes them an even better option.

I'm going with two 6000's and a multicontroller on my 120. Looking forward to it.

bb
07/11/2003, 01:21 PM
I am also looking into purchasing some form of wavemaker for may tank and if resources allow after paying for the more neciassary equipment and can afford the tunze streams over some other wave maker then I probably will. My biggest problem is that I am sure that hands down they are the best on the market but i still don't think that that warrants the price they get for them. I would love to know the mark up on them!!! I almost want to use something else just to spite them but in the end it will probably be me who would be suffering going with a lesser quality product:mad: . Barry

uryy4me
07/11/2003, 01:26 PM
what would be there recommended Tunze supplementation for a 72"x30"x30" where there are 2 A3K's running closed loops and a 4600 Seq returning water to 4 1" outlets high on the tank. I am looking to achieve good "SPS flow" :D

tia

- scott -

Mako
07/11/2003, 01:54 PM
BB - A big part of the cost is in the fact that they are not made on an assembly line. Hand made and worth it if you ask me. I just luv my 6100's.

Flatlander
07/11/2003, 05:58 PM
Besides, when people come over they have to look at my $250 motor boat props. :lol:

Look at it this way Nick & others, {all Canadian $$$$}

My tank a 6ft. is 225g. I was running two closed loops for current and several Hagen 800 powerheads. The closed loop pumps were a
Mak4 @ 100watts @ $225, generates 1100gph.
3MD @ 85watts @ $225. generates 750gph
plus the above mentioned powerheads.

My pair of Tunze stream pumps cost $250 each, not much more than the two large closed loop pumps.

They use about 30watts or so. {cant remember} and put out about 2200gph each, for 4400gph from the pair. :eek2: It took nine large powerheads, to even come close. Plus the current is so much different than closed loops or powerheads, as its spreads out into a wide angle type current, the further away it gets.

So for myself, they are worth it. Of course they are not that old, so longevity still remains to be seen, but expect like all Tunze products, not to have a problem there.:D

nick18tjetta
07/11/2003, 06:51 PM
I would probably use A higher quality powerhead for a larger tank, but for a 90???? I would go the cheaper route. I didn't realize how much the tunze put out! Maybe one day, when im out of college, i can afford a nice in wall with a few tunze products..

Nick

Flatlander
07/13/2003, 05:45 PM
Yea, nothing wrong with that Nick. Cant beat the price or output of my Hagen 800,s for powerheads. I have some over 12 years old and still run fine.

They were fine in my mixed 4ft. by 32in. 170g reef. I just needed more in this one and compared the stream against closed loops.

hwynboy
07/14/2003, 11:39 PM
Dough you hit a crucial point that most people fail to realize, they look at the price tag and say OMG THAT much for a powerhead...or a pump? But htere is the secondary factor. The Turbelles put out over 2250 gal per hour...that is enormous power and they dont blow your tank through your front door but here is the kicker...at 17watts. Now what does that mean? run ABC pump for 24 hours a day 365 days a year on 110 watts for a lot LESS gph movement in the water multiply that number by the Electric company charge per KWH and you will be surprised how long it takes you to recapture that $300 intial savings you made yourself by buying the cheaper one.

Price is not always better, efficiency is as important if not MORE important.