PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Drops

sschafer
07/09/2003, 09:50 AM
Hello all,

A month or two ago I had central air installed in the house. I have been noticing some voltage drops whenever the central air kicks in. This is most noticable in the tank because the MH bulbs flicker for a second. Will this harm the bulbs or ballasts? What should I do to minimize the effects of these drops? Is anyone using line conditioners in front of their equipment? I have two circuits for the tank and associated equipment. Is there something relatively inexpensive that can be used in-line (no outlets) to take care of both of these circuits?

Thanks,

Steve

ReeferMac
07/09/2003, 10:52 AM
I've no idea, beacuse I'm not an electrician, but... I don't think that's supposed to happen. The compressor driving the AC unit is probably what's causing the draw, but... that shouldn't affect other circuits, on their own breakers. The only thing I can think of is you've got a commercial sized AC unit drawing too much power from your mains.. which is basically an isolated brown-out. Not something that should be happening, if wired up right.
Is the AC unit on a dedicated breaker? What Amperage? Are the AC Breaker's close (in the box) to the Tank's breakers?

- Mac

PilotNY
07/09/2003, 11:34 AM
Steve,
My first question is what size breaker main do you have. The top breaker should say 100,150 or 200. Mac is correct that the AC motor kicking in is what is causing your drops. If you only have a 100 amp service, my suggestion would be to upgrade your service to a 200 amp panel. I did this late last year because I had no more room for breakers.

Carl

sschafer
07/09/2003, 12:07 PM
Carl and Mac,

I currently only have a 100 amp service. I have been pondering upgrading to a 200 amp service with a new expanded box. The AC is a 12 seer "commercial grade" running off of a 220 dual breaker. I currently have a 20 breaker box and recently did an electric "map" of the house. It turned out that at least 80% of the house was on two breakers!!! The house was built in 1910. So, I have been doing a lot of rewiring to try to even things out better. A 200 amp service is probably something that I'll have put in, but maybe not until later this year or next. In the interim is there anything I should do?

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by PilotNY
Steve,
My first question is what size breaker main do you have. The top breaker should say 100,150 or 200. Mac is correct that the AC motor kicking in is what is causing your drops. If you only have a 100 amp service, my suggestion would be to upgrade your service to a 200 amp panel. I did this late last year because I had no more room for breakers.

Carl

ReeferMac
07/09/2003, 12:11 PM
Try splitting big things up on their own... Like your fridge and oven, get an extra outlet in the kitchen, etc. If you leave extra wiring, switching boxes should be easy, but...
If timing, money, and the interruption it will cause isn't a problem, I would seriously revisit upgrading sooner rather than later.
That's just me though. Fortunately, money usually is an issue ;) so I don't do too many things the way I want to!

- Mac

PilotNY
07/09/2003, 12:49 PM
Steve,
Mac is correct. try to split up as many large loads as possible. I have a ampclamp that will show you how many amps each circuit is pulling if u want to borrow it... :) As far as upgrading goes, the biggest expense is the service entrance cable and the box itself. HD has a SquareD box and 20 breakers (it is a 40 breaker panel) for like a buck fifty. I would be glad to help if u want to change it, but beware that anytime a service is upgraded, we will have to have it inspected before RG&E will reconnect you....

Carl

PS You can also ampclamp the mains to see what your total draw is as well.

218-0058 if you want to call and discuss it... :) Anytime after 8 PM should be good.

ReeferMac
07/09/2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by PilotNY
Mac is correct...

Damn! That's twice, maybe I was wrong.. I am an electrician! Sheesh, and here I am monkeying w/ computer's all these years... :rolleyes:

- Mac

PilotNY
07/09/2003, 02:54 PM
Kinda scary to think that tho..... hehehehe :)
Carl