PDA

View Full Version : The ideal piece of sheet cover?? Please help

dennis_said
07/08/2003, 12:42 PM
I am about to install MHs on a 15g... imagine how hot it might get! I'm scared .. .hehe

Also i want the UV protection aspect... what do I need? I read that Acrylic would be best? Because if GLASS gets too hot, if water splashes on it, it might crack?

What type of "sheet" do you guys recommend I buy? And where can I purchase it? And how much am I looking to spend? (sorry for the specificity, after the MHs, I really have to dig deep in my piggy bank :()

SeaStar
07/08/2003, 12:59 PM
Dennis you do not need uv protection with mogul mh bulbs unless a certain manufacturer recommends it for their bulb. UV protection is necessary for hqi, de(whatever you want to refer to them as) bulbs.

If you do need a shield simple glass has worked fine for me. I believe most acrylics will melt except for a certain type, but can't remember what it is.

dennis_said
07/08/2003, 01:05 PM
So no need for the XM bulbs I'm assuming? (sorry if that was a REALLY dumb question!)

Rockfish
07/08/2003, 01:07 PM
Don't fool yourself...acrylic will crack if heated too much and then cooled quickly with water. It will fracture big time especially if under load. However 15g is not that big for hydrostatic pressure load, I would be concerned more with heating the water than anything else.

SeaStar
07/08/2003, 01:29 PM
So no need for the XM bulbs I'm assuming? (sorry if that was a REALLY dumb question!)

Not sure if the question is being addressed to me. However no, a shield is not necessary with the xm bulb. Or were you referring to one of my posts in your other thread.:confused:

dennis_said
07/08/2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks seastar,

NOpe I was referring to your response in this post and you answered my question :)