PDA

View Full Version : Devcon 5 min. Epoxy?

badpacket
07/08/2003, 12:51 AM
Would anyone know if this epoxy would be suitable for attaching a drip tube? MSDS is here also.http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=175.0&catid=31

Primary constituent is bisphenol a diglycidyl ether resin.
This is going to be mainly on the exterior of a 5g water container, securiing a Kangaroo IV drip line. I've already used Super Glue gel to secure the drip tube which was already a nice tight fit.

This link appears to indicate that the same substance is used in some beverage cans.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:jNkH7omS0G4J:www.sgms.ch/meeting/2000/oehme.html+bisphenol+a+diglycidyl+ether+resin++food&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I ask because I need to get this up and running for a trip I am going to make, and wasn't aware of the curing times for Silicone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Or, would my standard electric glue gun work?

barebottoms
07/08/2003, 01:07 AM
You can use that Devcon 2 parts putty. I use it for frags and rock work all the time. It dries gray and they have it at Tap Plastics.

I also have used Food Grade epoxy for frags. Ace 2 Part Plumbers Putty. It even has the NSF seal on it.

jdieck
07/08/2003, 01:21 AM
I have used the Devcon 5 minute to mount SPS frags with no problem.

badpacket
07/08/2003, 03:55 AM
Alex, thanks I'll look for it.

Jdieck, thanks. I'm pretty sure the super glue gel is water tight already, however I will go over it with a nice amount of the Devcon.

jdieck
07/08/2003, 07:55 AM
Note that if the container is made out of polyethylene neither the gel nor the epoxi are for long term as they will not permanently adhere to it and silicon will still be your best bet.

badpacket
07/08/2003, 07:18 PM
The container has the #7 code on the botom, which is non-recycleable/misc. other. I'm assuming this should work for the 5-6 days I'll be gone, and then I can come back and make a more permanent one.

thanks

Carl_in_Florida
06/28/2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by barebottoms
You can use that Devcon 2 parts putty. I use it for frags and rock work all the time. It dries gray and they have it at Tap Plastics.

I also have used Food Grade epoxy for frags. Ace 2 Part Plumbers Putty. It even has the NSF seal on it.

Where do you find these? And is there any putty epoxy you could find in a local hardware store that is reef safe?

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
07/16/2004, 09:16 AM
bump