PDA

View Full Version : Need exampls of DIY fuges

clownyd54
07/07/2003, 10:57 PM
Whats up people? Im planing on building a fuge for my system, and I would like to see some different layouts to get some ideas. My tank now is a 55gallon with overflow going to a sump. i use a euroreef cs6-2+ skimmer and a mag 5 return pump. I would like my fuge to be divided into 3 sections, one for the skimmer, one for the macro, and one for the return. any suggestions on layouts? anyone have a setup like this? Thanks.

ciwsmk15
07/08/2003, 01:02 PM
I just used a 25 high drilled for a 1.5 in bulckhead about 3 inches from the top on one side. <Place the fuge higher than your water level in the main tank.> I put a 90 elbow on the drain in the tank with a pipe extending to about 4 inches from the sand. Water feeds from a T on one of my return lines and is throttled back for proper flow. The fuge gravity drains back into my main tank, so no one gets chop suyed in any pumps. I just filled the tank with a few types of caulerpa and red macro. Threw in some glass shrimp, and worms and pods migrated there from the main tank. Works great last a long time. I feed relatively heavily so there is plenty of food for the macros.
Glen

wrasstaman
07/08/2003, 02:26 PM
I built mine out of acrylic.
It is 16 wide x 22 tall x 30 in long.
I have the input being pumped from my 125G tank into a 3 inch section which is divided from the main fuge with holes in the divider. The main fuge section is 20 in long and overflows over another divider into another compartment. which is the same design as the ecosystem fuge. The output is gravity fed to my sump.
The biggest consideration IMO is to make sure the design can not fail and empty your tank water on the floor! In my case if the power fails the pump stops and the fuge remains full. My only potential failure is for the drain to get plugged.
I learned this lesson (failsafe design) the hard way!
Wrassta

cellexjohn
07/08/2003, 11:57 PM
Maybe this will give ya an idea. Two 18 gallon Rubber Maid tubs. The right side is the fuge with a LOA Compact fluorescent quad light. The left side is the sump with a Euro Reef ES5-2 skimmer, Sen 700 pump and Heater. Above the sump is a 2.5 gal jug of kalkwasser for top off. There is nothing fancy here but it seems to work. I probably have 12 bucks in it.
Oh, it's under a 75.
Enjoy !

http://zbend68.home.insightbb.com/images/fugesump.jpg

rspar
07/09/2003, 12:30 AM
how would this work-- a powerhead pumping water out of the tank with a siphon break before the down pipe (bigger diameter down pipe) and a pump working of a float switch to pump back up to the tank. It wouldn't siphon in a power outage because the effluent would just be falling down the pipe like a washing machine drain, and the sump theoretically wouldn't drain because of the float switch. Or would just drilling an air hole in the drain pipe be simpler and less noise, although wouldn't it squirt out the air hole?

phonnold
07/09/2003, 02:30 PM
cellexjohn,
How is water flowing in that setup in you picture? I would assume overflow from tank to 1st tub and then pump/powerhead back to tank from second tub. How does it flow between the 2 tubs?

I have a 75G as well and am using a wet/dry. Looking to replace it.

Thanks,
Philip

SpeedRacr
07/09/2003, 03:25 PM
Looks like they have a piece of PVC connecting the two tubs with a quick disconnect.

phonnold
07/09/2003, 04:28 PM
Is that just a gravity feed from the right tub into the left. I have been looking at that picture and I am not real sure.

I saw that connection but was not sure how the water flowed, i.e. pump, gravity or suction.

Philip

cellexjohn
07/09/2003, 05:41 PM
I was trying to keep it short, sorry for the missing info. I have a siphon box(with standpipe) on the tank that drains 85% of the water to the sump throungh a 1 1/4" pvc pipe (left side) and the remainder to the fuge via 3/4" pvc (right side). I am running ball valves on both drains for control. I have a 3/4" line between them with a union. The water fills to the tube in the fuge and then gravity drains to the sump. I keep the water level in the sump around 7" vs 12" in the fuge side. I hope that helps explain it.

John