PDA

View Full Version : sump design & size?

captainken
07/07/2003, 06:09 PM
I have a 75 gal rroceanic tank and stand. the area under the tank in the stand is 45inches long x 29 high x 15 1/2 inches wide.

so,
I want to build a simple sump.(big as possible as they say)with no refugium,(maybe in the future) and have it slide under the tank into cabinet. the opening in the back is 30 inches.

I think i can slide a sump 36inches x 15 wide through the opening. 8 inches to spare on one side. am i right?

I will be using a iwaki external pump.
but i have decided to put the lifereef skimmer (7 inches in diameter) into the sump.
baffles will be 2inches apart. water flow will be higher than normal. pushing the overflow to the limit.

water level max is 10.5 inches for the ps(11inches at the outpipe) so the water level will about 10 inches high in the skimmer area.
how high do i want the baffles in the skimmer area?

I want to place an external refugium that will return into my sump later in the future.
where do i place my bulkhead in the skimmer area or the return area?

heres a picture of the design.
36L X 14W X 16H.
what do you think?

kris4647
07/07/2003, 06:52 PM
I have the same tank. Are you sure you'll have enough room for the sump and return pump?

Are you going to feed the skimmer and return to the tank with one pump? It can be tricky adjusting that. OR maybe you are using a submersible for the skimmer...

I'm just wondering about the space under your stand. I have a 24" sump with two external pumps and a refuge that sits on top of the sump and an external skimmer that sits on top of the Iwaki external's. Maybe you are locating your refuge outside the stand.

You'd want to return the refuge into the skimmer compartment to keep the bubbles on that side of the baffles

I had a hard time getting everything I need under the stand. You have some extra area in the sump design in your attacment you would be better served going ahead and baffling in a refuge area while you are building it.

R33f3r
07/07/2003, 07:25 PM
I made mine out of 20 gallon. My main tank is 75RR oceanic

Baffles are 9 1/2" high 3" wide. It stops all the bubbles and I can add carbon to one of baffle chambers as needed.

http://ossr.phpwebhosting.com/reef/sump1.jpg

spsreef
07/07/2003, 10:41 PM
r33f3r- thats a nice setup, im looking at the exact same think, but a 30 long and having a refugiums after the skimmer

looks good

captainken
07/08/2003, 09:53 PM
I am putting a 20 gallon refuge on the side of the main tank. it will be plumbed from my sump pump ,gate valve , and then drain back into my sump.

kris4647
07/08/2003, 10:01 PM
Nice job on the sump r33. I wish I had that much room!

Capt
Thats how mine is set up. I have an isolatio/fuge on a table next to my tank. Plus a fuge under the stand! I have trouble with the volume of water I push through my 24" sump [Around 1800 gph!] I use baffles and the dreaded bio ball to help with micro bubbles.

dsrdragon174
07/12/2003, 09:02 AM
question.... what is the distance between the bottom of the sump and the middle baffle (the one that the water passes under)?