PDA

View Full Version : I should Have gone Japanese!!

gooberz
07/07/2003, 10:44 AM
Over the weekend I finally fired up the new tank only to find out that the Iwaki WMD 40 is loud as hell.. I should of just forked out the rest of the money and bought the Japanese one which is suppose to be quieter.. Does anyone else have the Iwaki WMD 40 RLXT? Is there anything I can do to quiet it down a bit?

Thanks ,

Henry :mad2:

moonpod
07/07/2003, 10:52 AM
Well gooberz, you shoulda listened to what the peeps were saying...additionally the iwaki 40 in general isn't that quiet anyways....even the japanese. place a rubber mat (like a mousepad) under the board to reduce vibrational noises. Enclose your stand more. Good luck.

gooberz
07/07/2003, 11:10 AM
I know I should of listened.. I did place a piece of carpet underneath the pump but its still pretty noisey.. .. Oh well !!! Was trying to save money from somewhere so I could purchase additional items for the tank!! Pump works really good though!!

At least that pump will drown out all the noise from all other components! :rolleyes:

denmills
07/07/2003, 11:35 AM
Yes,
Even the MD40RLXT is fairly noisy. You get the constant hum because it is fan cooled. I ended up building a somewhat sound proof box around the pump. It still get a little bit of noise because I had to have a few holes in the box for the fan exhaust. This helped quite a bit and it is now tolerable.

gooberz
07/07/2003, 11:57 AM
That is a good Idea.. I think I will start to make a sound proof box tonight out of Plexi! Thank you for the idea!!

Henry:rollface:

moonpod
07/07/2003, 12:00 PM
Make sure it can vent though...that fan's there for a reason.

gooberz
07/07/2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks Moonpod, I will make some kind of opening where the fan vents just to make sure that it is working properly..

Scuba_Dave
07/07/2003, 12:24 PM
Just make sure the pump is properly ventilated. It doesn't do any good to soundproof a pump, only to have it fail due to the heat. And if the pump is hotter, it will also be adding to heat in your tank.

gooberz
07/07/2003, 12:47 PM
I will most likely leave it alone and deal with it.. My girlfriend is driving me up the wall with it though.. :mad:

Or should I replace the girlfriend?? DOOHHH!!

kbd
07/07/2003, 05:57 PM
Cool,

This is just like a jazz recording BB that I (used to) belong to,

kim

(they didn't like political discussions either....but boy it was wild ! )

mattboy
07/11/2003, 10:21 AM
I just got the japanese version; MD40rlxt. I talked with the iwaki tech dept, they told me the pump was 45db. This is 10db quieter than the american version, and actually, quieter than most of the iwaki pumps. So, i bought it. It's pretty loud, IMO. If you feel bad about the noise in your american one, just remember I paid $100 more, at least, for this pump and I still wish it was quieter. It's fairly cool to the touch, though (the MDs run 20o cooler than the WMDS) and so I can probably enclose it.

Matt

gooberz
07/11/2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks a lot for the response mattboy.. Well you made me feel better! :eek: I have gotton use to the pump now and at least it will drown out all the other sounds I will get from fans and chiller and all of that..

Thanks,
Henry

SupaJSK
07/11/2003, 04:02 PM
I had the same problem, I had the American Iwaki 40RLXT and it was way too loud so I sent it back already. I'm still trying to decide on whether I want a Velocity pump and deal with the heat, or take my chances with a japanese 30RLXT. the 30 supposedly does not have a fan, so is significantly quieter. but you never know until you try it i guess.

moonpod
07/11/2003, 04:06 PM
supa the 30 is much quieter than a 40, but the CSL is silent.

SupaJSK
07/11/2003, 07:49 PM
moonpod, on a scale of 1-10, and 10 being the Iwaki 40RLXT where would the 30 fall? thanks.

moonpod
07/11/2003, 08:13 PM
5...but my ears are not your ears....

Riotfishdude
07/11/2003, 08:59 PM
yes, moonpod as some sensitive ears,he can hear his Aerofoamer from across his yard,and i cant hear mine from 3 feet from it...;)

as with pumps,whats noisy to some is not so to others,i have heard many say that Mag's are noisy,but i cant hear a peep from any of mine...maybe i going deaf.....:rollface: ........Riot.....

moonpod
07/11/2003, 09:54 PM
Now riot....cool, but some of these things have to do w/the pitch. Some pitches are more annoying to different people than others.

And that aerofoamer is an old unit and it's in a SMALL yard in a shed that has zero sound inuslation. C'mon man, I live in metro L.A., what kind of yard do you think I have:p