PDA

View Full Version : phyto

englishreefer
07/07/2003, 09:19 AM
I was wondering if i could make my own phyto outdoors. i would use plastic bottles with air lines sealed in lids, one going in to the bottom of bottle and the other just a couple of inches from just inside to out. I was thinking that then their would be a steady flow through this pipe to lower the risk of bacteria entering as the unit will be sealed, only risk of contamination is in air being pumped in. I will then have the air pump in a box filled with filter wool to filter the air a bit before it is pumped in. Would using wool help lower risk of contamination. Back to the reason i posted this thread in the first place, am i correct in thinking that having this outside in natural light will in fact give optimal lighting conditions for growth. What temperature is considered optimal for growth and what are the boundarys, I’m guessing high fluctuations would be ok.

SeanT
07/07/2003, 09:32 AM
According to this article.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm
Nannochloropsis oculata, can be cultured between the temperature ranges 60-86 F.

I lived in England (Newmarket) between 1999-2001. I don't think you have to worry about the high end m8. ;)

englishreefer
07/07/2003, 09:43 AM
although i dont have to worry about the high end, i sure wish it was a concern. I m guessing our severe lack of sun and huge amount of rain is a part of why you only lived here for a couple of years.

SeanT
07/07/2003, 10:17 AM
No, military obligation.
Got transferred elsewhere.
Really enjoyed Cambridge, Great Yarmouth, London (LOVED the pub there they called The Church.)
Had a good time.
A tad to chilly for this Texan.
And the BACK ROADS were horrible (worked at RAF Mildenhall)

I acquired a taste for vinegar on my fries (errr...chips) there.

englishreefer
07/07/2003, 10:32 AM
yeah you got love vinegar on your chips, especially with a nice bit of cod. That is one thing i love the pubs in england are so much more cosey and home like than american bars. I think this might have something to do with we don't ever go outside its always raining so are pubs are the only place we go other than home and work. I suppose their like your home, living with all your mates, no misses to wind you up and beer on tap (you could call them heaven if you like.). Thanks for helping my chain of thought along, I think i,ve finally figured out why us british are always alcoholics. Every American i've spoken to complains about are roads they are compact. Ive lost a car or 2 to them.